Cross Pollination Worries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some advice..

I have been given some Cascade and Centennial rhizomes. I was talking to someone at the AHA rally in Davis last week and he said they cross pollinate.

If that is true, I guess you can't plant different varieties close to one another?? The rootstock won't change but the resultant hop cones will be hybrids?

If so, while I think I may have both varieties..or a third if I get some CTZ.. I will have no idea what I really have?

Thanks,

They're all females, right? No cross pollination possible.
You'd need males in the area for that to happen.

Cross pollination would affect the next generation any way, would produce a F1 hybrid. If you're not planting the seeds produced then no need to worry. Women's eggs don't affect our swimmers but your kids are a combination of both.

I need some advice..

I have been given some Cascade and Centennial rhizomes. I was talking to someone at the AHA rally in Davis last week and he said they cross pollinate.

That person was drunk or ignorant. ;)

Only thing to consider is if they are too close, bines will grow entangle and you will have a hard time to know which cones are from Cascades and which are from Centennial.

That person was drunk or ignorant. ;)

Only thing to consider is if they are too close, bines will grow entangle and you will have a hard time to know which cones are from Cascades and which are from Centennial.

I just wanted to add that if you have a guy in the mix you will see it that the flowers look way different than the ladies. Kill IT!

Back