Critique this Wheat Recipe>>>>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tresden

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract***
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 weihenstephan weizen**
Batch Size (Gallons): 5*****
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60*****
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 9@62***
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14@68***

1lb. Caravienne
1lb. White Wheat
5lb. Briess Wheat DME
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 60 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 15 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 5 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, flameout)
1oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, dry-hop)
1oz Simcoe pellet (12.1 AA, dry-hop)

Brew Day is tomorrow. I have all of this ^ any additions or suggestions to make this brew as best as it can be?

correction in the extract's.

6lb's liquid wheat malt
1lb dry Munton's Wheat

Scratch those up there^ I'm using 7lb's in all and in these ratios.

yeah^ that's the idea. I don't know how it will turn out, but I'm trying for a hoppy wheat. Too much?

I agree with your grains and your extracts, but I'm surprised by your amount of hops after bittering. For wheat beers, I generally limit my flavoring hops and have never dry hopped. I love hops, but I tend to enjoy the other flavors involved in wheat beers.

That said, I'd be interested to hear how this one turns out. I may need to add a hoppy wheat beer to my brew wish list.

If you want a hop forward wheat I'd use something other than 3068 for the yeast. US56 and Nottingham will always work but I know there are some liquids that are better suited for aggresive hopped wheats.

I say if you want a wheat then make a wheat. Wheats are all about the yeast. If you want something simple and hoppy then make an IPA/APA. You're going to get too much going on in a simple beer with all those hops and your choice of yeast. If you want it to be that hop forward then I'd use a clean ale yeast like 001/US-05/Nottingham.

I had a traditional Wit brewed with a large amount of late hops and dry hopped....all amarillo. It was very good, the tangerine and peach flavors that amarillo contributes played well. Could go well with the traditional esters that the hefe yeast throws out, or it could be a complete disaster. But, this recipe intrigues me and would definitely try a pint. My biggest concern would be that it might be too bitter, you don't have IBUs listed.

SO, I think I'm going to go change out the yeast to 05 Nottingham, Beerific is that what you used to make the delicious wheat beer you ere talking about?

SO, I think I'm going to go change out the yeast to 05 Nottingham, Beerific is that what you used to make the delicious wheat beer you ere talking about?

I did not make it. It was described as a traditional wit, so I assume they used a wit yeast (like wlp400).

is that akin to the yeast I have listed or closer to 05 Nottingham?

Just put it in the carboy! I don't know how it's going to turn out, but I'll definitely fill you guys in when I find out! Anyone near athens GA is welcome to stop by and have a brew when they're done. You guys think 12 days in primary and then straight to bottle sounds right? I think I'm going to lay off the dry hopping just because I already have a nerve-wracking amount of hops for a hefe. Anyway thanks for the feedback!

I think you need to leave it for 3 weeks in the primary, I don't touch my brews until that magical 3 week mark.

Not sure what you're trying to make...is it German or American?

By using German yeast it should be a Hefe Weizen, but not with American hops...so I'm guessing an American Wheat , which would be a waste of a great yeast...switch it to a general ale yeast and it'll be fine and hoppy.

Also please stop calling it a "hefe" (which simply means "yeast" in German anyway), it's an "American Wheat". The Germans would never call it an "Amerikanischer Hefe Wheat"...even in Germany you ask for a "Weizen" or a Weissbier", but never a "hefe"...:D

For my HW's I generally use only 3AAs...while yours is way up there. :rockin:

Not sure what you're trying to make...is it German or American?

By using German yeast it should be a Hefe Weizen, but not with American hops...so I'm guessing an American Wheat , which would be a waste of a great yeast...switch it to a general ale yeast and it'll be fine and hoppy.

Also please stop calling it a "hefe" (which simply means "yeast" in German anyway), it's an "American Wheat". The Germans would never call it an "Amerikanischer Hefe Wheat"...even in Germany you ask for a "Weizen" or a Weissbier", but never a "hefe"...:D

For my HW's I generally use only 3AAs...while yours is way up there. :rockin:

I think he should do whatever he wants and call it whatever he wants. It is his beer. I am going to start calling everything I make a Hefe.

Ok, off to brew my brutally bitter black hefe now.

"so I'm guessing an American Wheat , which would be a waste of a great yeast...switch it to a general ale yeast and it'll be fine and hoppy."

Well, I hope you're wrong. And I'm not German, so if I'm making an "American Wheat" as you call it, then I think I'll name it Hefe. Either way, thanks for the info.

Back