Critique this hemp wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husker71

Reaction score
Long story short: Wifey suffers from chronic mild to moderate pain in elbows & wrists. I decided to make a wine from Vintner's hemp wine base for her. Finding info on this wine base is very slim on the internets. My intuition is that it won't be a very enjoyable wine as-is, so I'm going to delineate from the container instructions. I morphed a couple recipes, borrowing heavily on one I found for beet wine - thinking they both would share the earthy, vegetation qualities.

I have fermented wine from a kit a couple times before, so I'm not a total beginner - but would classify myself as entering the realm of intermediate. I'm asking for anyone's advice as to whether this is a good template or suggestions on how to improve it. My plan is to create a 5 gallon batch - but the recipe below has been scaled to 1 gallon size.

2.5 lbs sugar
Juice & zest of 3 oranges
10 raisins
15 whole peppercorns
1 cup of cooled black tea
up to 1 gallon water (enough to net 1.1 gallons)

wine yeast

-stir vigorously daily for 12 days
-on 13th day, rack to secondary (for 3 to 6 months, re-racking as necessary)
-stabilize wine
-1 week after stabilizing rack to bottling bucket and add back sweetener (maybe 10 oz.?)

As I said, this is stretching my comfort zone - and if this project is going to take 4 to 6+ months - I would welcome thoughts or ideas to make it a successful endeavor.

Thank you!

Back