Critique my altbier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Jest time trying to formulate a recipe from just reading about the style. Any ideas?

7.5 lbs pilsner malt
2.5 Munich light
.5 lbs crystal 20
.2 lbs black patent
1.5 oz mt. Hood @60 minutes
1.0 oz mt hood @ 20 minutes
Wyeast 1007 German ale

O.G. - 1.051
Ibu's 43

Do I need to do a longer than 60 minute boil to blow off DMS from the pilsner?

Ideas? It seems to come out pretty much middle of the road according to the style guide. Some stuff I read said I should be about 80% pilsner but other recipes a little lower. So I kind of split the difference.

Any ideas/critiques would be greatly appreciated.

I brew my altbiers completely without pilsner malt (munich + caramunich + carafa special).

There's no need for boiling any longer than 60 minutes. Current industry-grade pilsner malts do not have excessive amounts SMM (DMS precursor). Presence of higher amounts of SMM is an indication of poor malting process.

I brew my altbiers completely without pilsner malt (munich + caramunich + carafa special).

There's no need for boiling any longer than 60 minutes. Current industry-grade pilsner malts do not have excessive amounts SMM (DMS precursor). Presence of higher amounts of SMM is an indication of poor malting process.

Same here, no pilsner malt and some Carafa II for color. I did add a little aromatic to the batch that is currently in the fermenter.

To the OP, I'd take out the Black Patent and use Carafa II if nothing else.

I'd drop the crystal, the black patent and move the 20 minute addition to 30, or farther back. Altbier should be dry and bitter without much hop flavor. You could use darker Munich for more color. That might be some very tasty beer, but IMO it won't be an Altbier.

Latest posts

Back