Critique Black IPA recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I made the recipe yesterday and all of you were right color came out perfect! But with the first all grain I had a issue my SS braid got all mangled up which gave me a stuck sparge took about an hour and a half to drain first and second runnings,and my OG came out really low but I forgot to cool the wort when taking a ready!! So it was hot and I didn't think about it till afterwards, so after boil and cooled I ended up with FG 1.060. Should I just get a false bottom??

I also mashed kind if high probably about 156 got down to 155 after half hour

image-3566042635.jpg

That does look likes mess lol. The beer should still turn out fine just lower in alcohol. A false bottom or stronger braid would help a lot.

Thanks again for all of yours guys help on this recipe ill let you know how it turns out. Cheers

So I made the recipe yesterday and all of you were right color came out perfect! But with the first all grain I had a issue my SS braid got all mangled up which gave me a stuck sparge took about an hour and a half to drain first and second runnings,and my OG came out really low but I forgot to cool the wort when taking a ready!! So it was hot and I didn't think about it till afterwards, so after boil and cooled I ended up with FG 1.060. Should I just get a false bottom??

Yours looks better than mine. Mine's been about like that since the first time I used it. Still works pretty well, though it seems like lately I've been getting more stuck sparges.

Are you batch sparging? Stuck sparges shouldn't be too big a deal if you batch sparge. Just shut the valve, mix everything up again, vorlauf, and continue draining. And maybe include some rice hulls in your recipes going forward. I would only get a false bottom if you are fly sparging because I think I've read they're better for that.

1.060 is still fairly respectable for an IPA, though it seems like your mash temp was a little high. Should turn out fine though since your OG was lower than expected. Welcome to AG brewing! :mug:

Mash tun SS braid.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that you just need to be careful not to catch the braid too much when you're stirring your mash. And I always try to set it kind of straight when I'm letting the grain bed settle before the vorlauf. I think it helps.

Well do next time,I may shorten it a little too. Yes i am batch sparging. Can't wait to brew again

sorry to jump in here late but if you are stuck on bittering then yea earlier hop additions are a must but, if you are more worried about hop flavor then keep your late additions.. One technique that I've been doing for all my pale ales and ipa's is hop whilpooling.....pretty much cool your wort below 160 and throw in your flamouts in and keep stirring ofr letting them steep while the wort cools to pitching temps

So I bottled the black IPA yesterday color wasn't as dark as I would of liked,but was almost there. The beer was quite tasty though granted because of my mess up and high mash temp it came out pretty sweet and think I should've added the full oz of Columbus for bittering. But all in all my first all grain beer tasted damn good! Brewing the same recipe this weekend with a few tweaks and hopefully lower mash temp

Back