Creative help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
Okay, completely zoned on the fact the brewing store would be closed today, so i cant pick up the munich, carapils & c40 i need, and I'm all set up to brew with my brother who's in town for the day only....
Here's the grain I have on hand....
40# 2 row
1# flaked wheat
1# unmalted roasted barley
~3# chocolate malt
I also have some rice hulls, although I doubt they'd be helpful at all...
The yeast that's prepped and ready is wyeast 1272.

I have a freezer full of sweet hops, and am good at adding those to a recipe on my own, but not knowledgeable about these grains... Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Okay nice - I'm leaning towards the stout/porter idea - the wyeast 1272 will do okay with that style?
Also - I don't mill the Quaker oats, correct?

Wyeast 1272 would be fine, and correct, you do not mill the Quaker oats. But make sure you get the "Quick" oats, the instant kind. Regular oatmeal needs to be gelatinized before it can be mashed, and the "Quick" oats have already been steam-cooked and are ready to go straight into your mash. Regular oats are not.

Okay nice - I'm leaning towards the stout/porter idea - the wyeast 1272 will do okay with that style?
Also - I don't mill the Quaker oats, correct?

1272 is fine for an American stout. Do not mill the oats. Toast them until golden or even darker for more flavor and maybe some color in your stout.

You could also do a hoppy pale ale/IPA.....

Go with your normal 10-12 pounds of base malt. Throw in the flaked wheat and then use just a touch 2-3 ounces of roast barley for color, not enough for much flavor. Then, go with whatever hop combos you like.

The porter/stout idea would be great as well and you have what you need there for something nice. 1272 is fine for that too.

Thanks! - should I just lay em out flat on a pan and put em in the oven under the broiler for a bit?

I see alotta people saying to go with instant oats - I have this on hand - will this work just as well?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404483838.015029.jpg

How does this sound?
11# 2-row
2# toasted oats
1.25# chocolate malt

Do I want any rice hulls with this?

I don't recognize those particular oats so I can't say for sure. What's it say on the package for cooking time? If it says to cook them for 1-2 minutes, then they're fine. But if you're supposed to simmer them for 20+ minutes, then they're not the right kind.

I know your LHBS is closed today, but aren't any grocery stores open? Even a pharmacy or corner store might have the "Quaker Quick Oats."

And yes, I'd include rice hulls any time the recipe includes oats/wheat/rye.

Oh they definitely are - just asking before I went out to buy them.

On my way to the store for quick oats now, and I'm thinkin I'll add 6oz of brown sugar to the grain bill (planning to add with 15 minutes left, no?).

Those oats will work but you will need to get them to 175 degrees or more and hold it until they get pretty soft which is gelatinized, or cooked. Then getting them mixed into the other grains is a bit more work. If you are going to do a stout why not try it out for the experience? I've done it, it isn't all that hard really.

I guess I posted too late. Oh well. It is raining here and I'm on bottle detail so I missed that one.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404502734.570407.jpg

Well here goes nothing - here are my notes so far

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404502676.354157.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404502676.354157.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 46
Chocolate listed is chocolate Malt - just to clarify..

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404504033.094197.jpg
And here's what's next, and finally I'll age it a bit over some oak I'm thinking...

Back