Creating your own hop blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
Just wondering (can't find this in any search anywhere), but has anyone ever just added say 1 Oz of 3 different hops, and then just divided that combination into 4 equal parts, and used that as a 15/10/5/0 additions?

I have read hundreds of post about what hop combo and at what schedule...and while I know that different hops have different contributions...there is just so many varying opinions..

For example....if I search for centennial simcoe and citra pairings, there's about 100 different examples, all with different additions, and all at different times...add another hop of say cascade, and wow, that really complicates things

So that got me to thinking about just blending a bunch together, and then using a basic schedule of say 15/10/5/0.....not random hops, obviously using hops that work together well....but just adding all to a big zip lock then measuring out each scheduled addition and seeing how it works.

You can mix and add them at the times you mentioned however my concern is that the hops all have different AA% and sure the addition wouldn't contribute greatly to the overall bitterness but you're not gonna know what you're gonna get but like I always say to each their own

Last edited:
Sounds like a "Falconer's Flight" SMaSH ;)

Was just thinking about that, but I think I will just add my own concoction together of certain hops instead of what FF has. And ifor it turns out good, I will just record how much of what I put in each addition instead of leaving it to chance.

Originally I was just thinking about adding all together and then making the additions as above, and just seeing what happens.....making it a "suprise" beer...but if it's really good, it will be unable repeatable.

Know what I did a couple years ago - I made the same beer three times (2.5 gallon batches) all with the same grain bill, mash procedure, hop schedule, etc. but each time I used a different hop. IIRC it was Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo. When they were all done and carbonated, I poured them together to give me an idea of what an Amarillo/Simcoe blend was like. Since the recipe was a clone of Bell's Two Hearted which is all Centennial, I added that to the mix too. Seemed to work pretty well to get an idea of hop combos.

ETA: Hey, whaddya know: I found my write-up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=303086

I got a hop blend from Farmhouse I have to use, curious on how it will be!

I believe that the 90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head does this. They mix together all hops and evenly divide the full amount for 9 additions, once every ten minutes.

I really want to try this for my next APA but not sure which hops to try yet... Hmmmmmm.

Do they mix it all and then divide the mix up? So in 1 portion, there might be a lot more of 1 of the hops then in another portion?

I am doing this tomorrow using the aforementioned hops of 2oz simcoe, 2oz centennial and 2oz citra....all in 1 big bag...shake it all up, and do a 1.5 oz 10 min, 1.5 oz 5 min, and all the rest at , then dry hop with 1oz each....

What can go wrong!😂

Do they mix it all and then divide the mix up? So in 1 portion, there might be a lot more of 1 of the hops then in another portion?

I am doing this tomorrow using the aforementioned hops of 2oz simcoe, 2oz centennial and 2oz citra....all in 1 big bag...shake it all up, and do a 1.5 oz 10 min, 1.5 oz 5 min, and all the rest at , then dry hop with 1oz each....

What can go wrong!😂

You might get more of one hop than the others, love the beer it makes, and never be able to duplicate it.:(

What's different than adding 1/4 of all your hops at the same times?

Imagine you have 4 hops, 1 oz each. Pile the. Together then divide them into 4 mixed 1 oz additions. How is this different than adding 0.25 of each at the scheduled times? I wouldn't think there would be much of an advantage of adding aroma hops for a 60 minute addition or adding Warrior for a 5 or 0 minute addition.

Latest posts

Back