Creating own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. So i decided to try out this recipe that i thought of. Its a simple 2.5 gallon smash recipe. I'm not really trying to hit a certain ABV. I wont be adding any bittering hops, all my hop additions will be later. I will be using all citra hops. I'm shooting for all hop flavor & aroma. Color wise i want a light straw color. Like a budweiser. This will be a partial boil. Boil time 45min. The recipe goes as follows. 3lbs. pilsen LME 1oz citra at 20, 1oz citra at 10, 1oz citra at 5, & 1oz citra at flame out. I was thinking of dry hopping with an ounce of citra as well. Well, there it is. I just wanted to run it by everyone, & see what you guys think.

If you’re shooting for all hop flavor and aroma as you stated in your OP, I’d def pull the 20 minute addition, and probably also the 10 minute addition. 4 ounces is a ton of hops in a low gravity 2.5 gallon batch

fwiw, I ran the original recipe through QBrew (quicker and dirtier than firing up Beersmith3) and I'm getting an OG of 1.053 with 97 IBUs (assumes the Citra runs around 15% AA).

I'm ok with it :D
Add an ounce of dry hops with a few fermentation points remaining and it should be a good old-school wcipa style smash-ish brew...

[edit] If you drop the 20 minute addition the IBUs on paper drop to 51. Might be more reasonable for those who aren't into that lingering bitter :)

Cheers!

It certainly could be bomb-ish for some :D
fwiw, what did you use to come up with those numbers?

If the OP wants very low bitter and very high aromatics, I'd take those same four ounces and dump them in at flame-out, then chill below 170°F within say 10 minutes, then hold for say 20 minutes, before chilling to pitch....

It certainly could be bomb-ish for some :D
fwiw, what did you use to come up with those numbers?

If the OP wants very low bitter and very high aromatics, I'd take those same four ounces and dump them in at flame-out, then chill below 170°F within say 10 minutes, then hold for say 20 minutes, before chilling to pitch....
Brewers friend, though I didn’t spend much time on it. In any case, 4 oz of a high AA hop like cites in a 2.5 gallon batch is a lot

Just for amusement and comparison, yesterday I brewed a 2.5 gallon Belgian blonde with 5.4 lb of grain (82% pils) and wait for it... 9 grams of citra. :)

This is a 1.058 beer with 19 IBU and a very different style, but still, the original recipe here has nearly 13x as much hops as mine.

Latest posts

Back