Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, our brew that we did per the OP receipe came out freakin' awsome. Pics and review to follow once carbed up. It tastes amazing uncarbed, cant wait!!!!

The only change was that we did not have Crystal hops avail locally so we subbed Australian Helga. Still came out fantastic. We two batches; nottingham and US-05. Will do a compare to see which is better.

Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing.

Cream Ale.jpg

This beer really comes around after a few weeks in the keg. Mine is crystal clear - the clearest beer I have ever made (also the lightest grain bill)! I never thought I would have a YFPW beer... but this will probably occupy a regular tap going forward.

This beer really comes around after a few weeks in the keg. Mine is crystal clear - the clearest beer I have ever made (also the lightest grain bill)! I never thought I would have a YFPW beer... but this will probably occupy a regular tap going forward.

Came here to say the same thing. I think it's been in the keg for about 5/6 weeks or so now and it's oh so refreshing and, as others have mentioned, crystal clear. Probably the clearest i've brewed to date.

Next time I think i'll turn down the corn a bit and sub it with maybe a bit more malt, but I definitely plan on brewing this again early next year. It's a great beer for hot weather.

I made 11.5 gallons of this back before Irma decided to show up and screw things up for us in Florida. Luckily it was in my chest freezer and had several days to ferment before power went out. Hopefully it tastes fine, I might have to rename it Irma Ale.

Time to make my next batch of this delicious libation and hope to get it done next weekend.

How shall I jazz it up this time? Last batch I used experimental hops that were extra Amarillo like, but this time I may use Noble hops.

Time to make my next batch of this delicious libation and hope to get it done next weekend.

How shall I jazz it up this time? Last batch I used experimental hops that were extra Amarillo like, but this time I may use Noble hops.

Here's how I modified it last time and thought it worked awesome (10gal batch):

2 Row Pale Malt 10.0lbs
Oven Toasted 2-row 2.0lbs (275 degrees for 35 minutes)
Flaked Maize 4.0lbs
Minute Rice 1.0lb
Crystal 60 4oz

Mashed 151
60 minute boil

1.75oz of Styrian Bobek at 60 minutes

Yeast: 34/70 starter fermented at 66 degrees for 7 days.

I just settled my new (and first brewing experience) 5 gallons fermenters. I ended with ~10Gal. In 3 containers.

8Kg 2-row canadian
1Kg minute rice
1Kg Flaked Corn

Mash at 153F for 60 min.

Sparge with water at 165F

Boil for 90 min. With homegrown leaf hops (2oz.) at 60 min. Then Crystal at 25 min.

Wort chill into the Fermenter (final temp. 90F

2 packs of Safale 05 rehydrated with 250 ml of water at 40C.

Here's some pictures of my 3 samples (Post-Mash, Post-Sparge & Post-Boil) View attachment IMG_6972.jpgView attachment IMG_6967.jpgView attachment IMG_6949.jpg

Is everyone using a starter for this? I want to try this brew but I've never done a starter before...would prefer to skip it :(

Is everyone using a starter for this? I want to try this brew but I've never done a starter before...would prefer to skip it :(

I've not brewed this specific recipe, but I have brewed several cream ales and blonde ales. I don't use starters, I use dried yeast. K-97 (German ale yeast) works great, although it can take a long time to clear. It's also a good yeast to harvest and reuse. I'm fermenting one right now with S-33; never used that yeast before so don't know how well it works yet I just know it's fast.

A Wyeast smack-pack should also work for a 5 gallon batch. Smack it, and pitch when the pack swells up and call that your starter.

I would say same. I personally don't like dry yeast and always make a starter, but with this low gravity beer you might be able to get away with a smack-pack assuming it were very fresh. Beersmith says that a 1.041 OG needs 160B cells, and a smack-pack is ~100 billion when fresh (> 2mos since mfg). Wyeast claims it is suited for direct innoculation into 5G or wort, so assume the 100B is conservative.

I did not made a starter, I used 2 packs of Safale-05 for a 10 Galllons batch.
But what I did is Rehydrating the yeast prior to dump it in the wort after cooling it down with a Counter flow chiller. I checked the temps. to make them match (wort temp./yeast rehydrated temp.)

Right now I'm 2 weeks away from bottling after the primary.

O.G was 1.064

Yeah I changed my minds when putting in the corn/instant rice. I was supposed to put in half a Kilo of both but i dumped a Kilo each :p

I wanted it have some kick, but be smooth. I have used some home grown Hops my brother gave me (2 oz.) Boiled 90 min. mashed 75 min. @ 153 F.

I just bottled up this Saturday afternoon, I ended bottling in two bottle types (42 x 500mL with swing caps & 36 x 341mL with standard caps).

I have looked over my numbers and made the temperature correction for my OG & FG (FG at Bottling) and it looks like that :

Fermentation has been going on for 28 Days at ~66-68°F

O.G. : 1.066 (80%eff.) (1.064 estimated at 75% Mash efficiency)
F.G. : 1.009 (86%eff.) (1.018 estimated at 75% attenuation.)

so it will turn out to be very strong (7,8%ABV)

I added my Sugar to carbonate (priming) (210grams of white sugar in 2 cups of boiling water for use in 36 Liters (~9.8 Gallons) but I completely forgot to add the gelatin at this point.

Now it is stored for 14 more days for carbonation at 68°F.

Pictures :
IMG_7131 (F.G. Value)
IMG_6960 (O.G. Value)
IMG_7187 Brewing app. Values

Sry Biermuncher I twisted that one pretty good :D

IMG_7187.PNG

IMG_7131.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

Working on a new take on this.

Cascade of Three Crops
Based on 75% Efficiency

3.5 lbs Canadian Pale Ale malt
3.5 lbs Vienna malt
1 lb Flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice

0.5 oz Cascade 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 5 mins

Mash at 149 for 90 mins

Ferment with US-05 at 60F to try and get some peachy notes going on

Target OG: 1.045
Target FG: 1.008
Target ABV: 4.95%
Target IBU: 19-ish

Should be interesting.

I've been searching around for a good, cheap, easy brew to please the masses for the holidays. I think I just found it. Looks to be the perfect brew to share in quantity.

I've been searching around for a good, cheap, easy brew to please the masses for the holidays. I think I just found it. Looks to be the perfect brew to share in quantity.

Yep you just found it, I made about 10 Gallons of this (bottled 36Liters) for 45$ (ingredients only).

But it includes that I used 16 pounds of Pale 2-row (worth 48$ for a 25Kg bag), 2,2 pounds of flaked corn (worth 8$) and 2,2 pounds of minute rice (worth 7$).

I could have used half of these numbers for corn and rice, since my efficency was pretty high (both mash and Yeast attenuation).

So now I will most likely end up with a beer around 7,8%ABV.

:rockin:

Lol. I just purchased ingredients for a 5.5 gallon batch for less than $13. I actually felt guilty getting my AHA membership discount at the hbs. :D

The first batch of this I brewed turned out great, so I brewed a 11 gallon on Nov 29th.

Bottled half three weeks later, and kept the other 5.5 gal in primary in anticipation of finally getting a keg.

So swmbo got me a keg setup for Christmas. (Nicer than the one I was going to get for myself) so thank you honey. But as a consequence of this I can't keg this batch till 8 weeks in primary. I know such long primary isn't uncommon for big beers but I haven't heard about it for a lighter beer like this. Has anyone kept this recipe or a similar beer in primary for so long? I'm just curious as to what to expect.

I hope that after so long in primary and a another week curbing in the keg that it will be aged to perfection.

Brewed this as my first AG batch. Boil off estimates were way off so it came in light in color and ABV(3.7%).

A hit at a quasi new Years Eve party all the same.

Brewing another batch with adjusted water volumes very soon.

Thanks for the recipe BM.

co3c.jpg

Just pulled a glass off the keg - and again I have a sour flavor. That brew day I did a 5gal batch of a Grants Perfect Porter that also has a sour flavor..... Guess I need to look into my process and clean the heck out of everything for the next brew day...
One question - How long do grains keep? I work off a 50lb bag that lasts me 12-18 months and Im wondering if the grains could be causing some of this..??? could be grasping at straws too.
I did primary in glass with a foil wrap cover for 4 weeks - perhaps that allowed an ick into the batches.
I do wash all the equipment before i put it away and before use with diligent rinses to be sure there isn't residual soaps. I also use starsan and am extra cautious.... Thoughts welcome

Attachments

• 20171229_211238.jpg
    20171229_211238.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 172
Just pulled a glass off the keg - and again I have a sour flavor. That brew day I did a 5gal batch of a Grants Perfect Porter that also has a sour flavor..... Guess I need to look into my process and clean the heck out of everything for the next brew day...
One question - How long do grains keep? I work off a 50lb bag that lasts me 12-18 months and Im wondering if the grains could be causing some of this..??? could be grasping at straws too.
I did primary in glass with a foil wrap cover for 4 weeks - perhaps that allowed an ick into the batches.
I do wash all the equipment before i put it away and before use with diligent rinses to be sure there isn't residual soaps. I also use starsan and am extra cautious.... Thoughts welcome

The foil certainly could be a problem, but so could be the fermenter. How do you clean the fermenter? I assume you did gravity samples? Were they sour? If not, I'd be looking at kegs... Too many variables without knowing your process inside and out.

Is anyone using Minute Rice instead of flaked rice? The flaked version at my LHBS is quite more expensive compared to Great Value instant rice. Any reason this won't work?

WOW. 8lbs of mangos for 5 gallons! Do you make a puree or just drop in pieces? Very curios to know how this turns out. I have 10 gallons of this brew in the fermenter right now.

WOW. 8lbs of mangos for 5 gallons! Do you make a puree or just drop in pieces? Very curios to know how this turns out. I have 10 gallons of this brew in the fermenter right now.

When I made my mango/red chile gose, I peeled/pureed right around the same amount and put it straight in the primary fermenter. Most of it floated, so when I was ready to bottle, I simply used a sanitized mesh strainer to scoop it off the top. It worked well, but I think there should have been more mango flavor, and I blame the fact that it was sitting on top instead of being submerged.

For this beer I'll probably make/buy chunks, freeze, defrost, and put them in a weighted nylon bag, see if that makes a difference.

When I made my mango/red chile gose, I peeled/pureed right around the same amount and put it straight in the primary fermenter. Most of it floated, so when I was ready to bottle, I simply used a sanitized mesh strainer to scoop it off the top. It worked well, but I think there should have been more mango flavor, and I blame the fact that it was sitting on top instead of being submerged.

For this beer I'll probably make/buy chunks, freeze, defrost, and put them in a weighted nylon bag, see if that makes a difference.

Did the red chili flavor come thru...and how did you prepare the chilis for infusion?

Did the red chili flavor come thru...and how did you prepare the chilis for infusion?

It definitely did. I used ground NM red chile and cayenne in 50/50 proportions and stirred it into vodka. I let it sit for a couple weeks, shaking it every day, and then strained the liquid through a cheesecloth or coffee filter (can't remember which). I took a sample of the fermented beer and dosed it slowly with the tincture until I got the right heat level and then scaled it up to the batch and put that much of the infused vodka in the bottling bucket. Worked out great.

Only issue was that the bottom of the glass/bottle tended to be a bit hotter than the top. :)

It definitely did. I used ground NM red chile and cayenne in 50/50 proportions and stirred it into vodka. I let it sit for a couple weeks, shaking it every day, and then strained the liquid through a cheesecloth or coffee filter (can't remember which). I took a sample of the fermented beer and dosed it slowly with the tincture until I got the right heat level and then scaled it up to the batch and put that much of the infused vodka in the bottling bucket. Worked out great.

Only issue was that the bottom of the glass/bottle tended to be a bit hotter than the top. :)

One of the reasons I like tinctures so much is that you can dose the beer with the tincture until it hits the right notes, then stop adding. It is not nearly as easy by adding chilis or something else to the beer and letting it infuse naturally since you don't have that instant control as with a tincture. Some may argue this point and I certainly respect their opinion, but tinctures always work nicely for me.

First batch came out great. I'm considering submitting to a local competition. Would BJCP 1C - Cream Ale be the best category to submit under.

I usually split 5 gallon batches into two 2.5 batches so I can fit them in my fermentation fridge. Thinking of just throwing a packet of 05 in each of them for this recipe. Does this seem fine, or would you try to find a way to half one packet of 05?

Back