Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really bitter for that style of beer. But to each their own

I totally agree, its more of an experiment. I'm a big fan of IPA, like my bitterness, so I thought that the extra bit of bitterness might counteract the corn after taste that many people mentioned.

We'll see what it's like, either way it'll be consumed :)

I thought that the extra bit of bitterness might counteract the corn after taste that many people mentioned.

Drinking my 7th batch of this recipe now and I have yet to have one turn out with a "corn flavor" as some have mentioned. I have to wonder if they are truly picking up a corn flavor or if perhaps they just don't actually like a cream ale :confused:

I did misread the recipe for an earlier batch (5 gal.) and added a full ounce each of Willamette and Mt. Hood at the 60 min. mark. And although it was a tad more bitter than later batches everyone here loved it and the keg was emptied pretty quickly.

Your two ounce batch will probably be good.

Cheers!
:mug:

Drinking my 7th batch of this recipe now and I have yet to have one turn out with a "corn flavor" as some have mentioned. I have to wonder if they are truly picking up a corn flavor or if perhaps they just don't actually like a cream ale :confused:

Cheers!

You know, I'm actually in that group. I really wanted to like cream ales. I mean who wouldn't love thing called a Cream ale. The cream of all ales.
But a cream ale is not what my mind wants it to be. So you try and change it to be something with a #$&^ ton of mouthfeel creaminess. And guess what, you no longer have a cream ale.
So yes, although I want to love this recipe and tag along. I just don't like cream ales that much. They're too light for me, unless I'm in a boat fishing on a hot day. I'd rather make Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde ;)

You know, I'm actually in that group. I really wanted to like cream ales. I mean who wouldn't love thing called a Cream ale. The cream of all ales.
But a cream ale is not what my mind wants it to be. So you try and change it to be something with a #$&^ ton of mouthfeel creaminess. And guess what, you no longer have a cream ale.
So yes, although I want to love this recipe and tag along. I just don't like cream ales that much. They're too light for me, unless I'm in a boat fishing on a hot day. I'd rather make Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde ;)

IMO that is completely cool. That's why there are so many different styles of beer. When I first heard of cream ale I associated it with Cream Soda. Nope! Not even close. More flavorful version of BMC? Yes - that's probably a better description.

I've yet to taste a saison or blonde ale that I liked. I've given up trying different examples of those styles for the time being. Maybe, like fried okra, I'll learn to like them some day.

Cheers!

I did misread the recipe for an earlier batch (5 gal.) and added a full ounce each of Willamette and Mt. Hood at the 60 min. mark. And although it was a tad more bitter than later batches everyone here loved it and the keg was emptied pretty quickly.

Your two ounce batch will probably be good.

Delighted to hear this. I was slightly concerned that my gamble wouldn't pay off, now I'm happy to hear I'll have a drinkable beer regardless :)

IMO that is completely cool. That's why there are so many different styles of beer. When I first heard of cream ale I associated it with Cream Soda. Nope! Not even close. More flavorful version of BMC? Yes - that's probably a better description.

I've yet to taste a saison or blonde ale that I liked. I've given up trying different examples of those styles for the time being. Maybe, like fried okra, I'll learn to like them some day.

Cheers!

Cream ale is basically "beer." Most historical versions are crappy cheap beer. I like it, but then I tend to not like IPAs or RIS.

Delighted to hear this. I was slightly concerned that my gamble wouldn't pay off, now I'm happy to hear I'll have a drinkable beer regardless :)

I'd like to hear what you think of it when you try it. I chose to stick to the original recipe for later batches because a total of 1 oz. of hops yielded a more balanced flavor and is more in keeping with the style.

brewed this one 09 -03-2015 as it is and went to brew it on 09-05-2015

but found out I was short on the base malt I had 8 1/2 pounds of 2-row

so I went with 8 1/2 pounds 2-row 1 1/2 pound c-40 and 2 pounds of dark munich

we will see how it comes out

I have brewed this recipe 15 times

all the best

S_M

So I kegged this brew today after a longer cold crash as I had a couple of things to do for the folks that pay my bills :)

it has only been on gas since 1:00 PM today but the added Munich and C40 taste great it will be so much better fully carbed

this brew was my 72nd brew in a little over two years I do 11.5 brew so this one for me was 828 gallons

BierMuncher thank you for a great recipe and everyone here at HomeBrewTalk thank you all also

all the best

S_M

Fast-forward 10 days, the kreusen hasn't dropped. I'll give it a few more days. I'm out of homebrew. I should've used S04 for quicker turnaround.

I love cream ales and finally got around to making this over the weekend. Followed the original recipe except I sub'ed in Sterling for Crystal (as that's what I had). The Sterling was added at 5 min instead for more flavor (as that's how I do my cream ales).

Made 11.5 gal, got 88% efficiency, ending at 1.050. Pitched US05 and happily fermenting at 65. Looking forward to it!

Fast-forward 10 days, the kreusen hasn't dropped. I'll give it a few more days. I'm out of homebrew. I should've used S04 for quicker turnaround.

I experienced the same thing with a batch of this. 14 days in I opened the top to take a gravity sample and there was a large amount of yeast still sitting on top. There was so much and it was so unusual after 14 days, I thought it was an infection!? But after posting here and closer examination, it was some nice healthy yeast. It dropped out when I cold crashed...

Not sure why yeast hang around so long on the surface with this recipe??

I experienced the same thing with a batch of this. 14 days in I opened the top to take a gravity sample and there was a large amount of yeast still sitting on top. There was so much and it was so unusual after 14 days, I thought it was an infection!? But after posting here and closer examination, it was some nice healthy yeast. It dropped out when I cold crashed...

Not sure why yeast hang around so long on the surface with this recipe??

In my experience, US05 is a "slow but steady" rock star. When I want to move beers quicker, I go to S04, it's a "wham bam" kinda rock star. Both strains get the job done though, at their own pace.

I didn't take a reading, it's likely done, just hasn't dropped yet. As you pointed out, a cold crash or longer wait time will do the job with US05.

Wanting to give this a bigger punch I increased the grain bill to achieve an OG of 1.058 and an ABV of 6%. All went well except that I got deathly sick during the brew and rushed pitching my Safale US-05. I can't remember exactly but I believe I pitched in the 80-90 degree range...... Would this cause my beer to have a slight floral aroma and fruity taste on the backend?

Wanting to give this a bigger punch I increased the grain bill to achieve an OG of 1.058 and an ABV of 6%. All went well except that I got deathly sick during the brew and rushed pitching my Safale US-05. I can't remember exactly but I believe I pitched in the 80-90 degree range...... Would this cause my beer to have a slight floral aroma and fruity taste on the backend?

I pitched a batch too warm early this summer. Ended up dumping it. Hope yours is OK but be prepared.

On day 14 (Friday), the beer still had kreusen on top but I took a gravity reading. It was at 1.008 (from 1.050 - giving me 5.5%), sample tasted fantastic so I decided to keg it. I set the regulator to 32 PSI for 48 hrs. Last evening, relieved the pressure, set it to 12 PSI and beer poured perfectly carbonated! It was still cloudy so it needs a couple more days to settle but the flavor was fantastic! Great beer!

Just put a batch in fermenter. Do you put hops in with 60min left on clock? Ive been add-in the last 10min and like what that brings.

The recipe calls for a 60 minute addition so that's what I've been doing. putting the hops in later in the boil would probably bring out more of the hops aroma and flavor but you'll lose most of the IBUs so the beer will be sweeter.

cheers!

Doing my second batch this morning. The first batch disappeared a lot faster than I needed it to. A little grain bill change on this batch. Dropped the corn down and upped the rice. First batch was great. It didn't have too much of a corn taste, but I wanted to change it just to see how this recipe would be this time.

6 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Flaked Rice
1 lb Flaked Corn
1 oz Saaz @ 60 min
Safale US-05

Kegged my batch this morning, got it down to 1.007 so it came out at a respectable 4.9%

Have it on 12 psi, I'll keep it there for a week and see how it turns out!

Had a little taste and it's quite nice, I'm sure it'll be even better cold and fizzy :)

My batch finally finished this week. But I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Overall I like the way it tastes, but I'm getting some notes of white wine in it, and I don't feel like that's right. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

My batch finally finished this week. But I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Overall I like the way it tastes, but I'm getting some notes of white wine in it, and I don't feel like that's right. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

That's how all my cream ale's turned out tasting like whenever i add rice and corn.

I'm not a wine drinker so I can't say that mine has the characteristics of white wine..... But my 6% version of this definitely has a dry fruity feel to it.

I am planning to brew a variation of this beer tomorrow and plan to throw in 0.5 lb of rice out of the box into my mash tun with my other grain. My question is will the rice cause any issue with sparging? are rice hulls needed to prevent a stuck sparge?

If it's minute rice like the recipe calls for I don't see a problem. It already calls for 1 lb of that so it will just up your abv. If it is raw rice I believe you need to do a cereal mash on that before going into the mash tun.

I've done it with and without rice hulls, and a bazooka screen, and never had it stick.

If it's minute rice like the recipe calls for I don't see a problem. It already calls for 1 lb of that so it will just up your abv. If it is raw rice I believe you need to do a cereal mash on that before going into the mash tun.

I've done it with and without rice hulls, and a bazooka screen, and never had it stick.

OK perfect. I have Kroger brand instant rice so I think that should work without the cereal mash as its just an off brand of minute rice.

seeking advice

I have all the ingredients but not the right hops

What I have:
Summit
chinook
ctz
crystal
cluster

what would you use?

Do to my isolation I cannot just go to LHBS and get other hops. I have close to a lb of each listed above so quantity of what I Have is not an issue just time getting others.

seeking advice

I have all the ingredients but not the right hops

What I have:
Summit
chinook
ctz
crystal
cluster

what would you use?

Do to my isolation I cannot just go to LHBS and get other hops. I have close to a lb of each listed above so quantity of what I Have is not an issue just time getting others.

Cluster for sure. It is a hop that was used in the 19th centrury to brew this style of beer, but you can really use any hop you want, just try and stay away from the high AA% hops

Cool, so just replace the 1.00 oz Willamette (60 min) with cluster? Sounds good and I like the "true to style" of it.

I have the 1.00 oz Crystal

Thanks, I know I really couldn't go wrong, just wanted a little push.

Cool, so just replace the 1.00 oz Willamette (60 min) with cluster? Sounds good and I like the "true to style" of it.

I have the 1.00 oz Crystal

Thanks, I know I really couldn't go wrong, just wanted a little push.

Yup! I plan to do a 60 minute boil with 1oz of wlliamette and add .25oz of both cluster and wlliamette at flame out as I still have some left over in my freezer from a previous brew

Back