Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked mine to secondary last night after three weeks in primary to try to clear it up. Today I have little white puddles of something floating on top. I do not think it is yeast...looks kind of like mold. Not bubbling; just kind of a puddle or patch of thin, almost clear white stuff. I added AE to the secondary and it is the first time I ever used it. Could it be that?

I was extra cautious in sanitizing and cleaning everything because this is my first AG and I am hoping for a positive experience. Even if I had a problem, I do not believe that mold would appear this quickly. It had only been in the secondary for about 15 hours when I first checked it. What do you think? I will try to get a pic posted.

Thanks.

This morning the white spots have tiny bubbles in them, so what I was seeing was the start of a second fermentation. Looked a little weird last night when I posted, but I'm not as concerned this morning. My camera batteries are dead so never did get a pic posted.

I just took a gravity sample from my batch that i brewed on 3/2/10. it went from 1.050 down to 1.010. I upped my hops from the original recipe to 26ibu. used 1oz of saaz and 1 oz of williamette in a 5.5 gallon batch.

Just have to say how amazing the sample tasted. Very crisp, dry, and bitter. Next batch I might down the hops a bit but overall I am very impressed.

Hopefully Ill get around to bottling this over the weekend. I post pics once its carbed up.

Got first the first batch kegged up. Tastes great,, but has a killer haze to her though

heres my 5 gal version i want to try. what do you think?

5lbs 2 row
2lbs flaked corn
.5 flaked rice
.5 williamette 60 min
.5 williamette 20 min

us-05

OG: 1.039 (72% efficiency)
IBU:18

Just mashed in on my first batch of this. Hit 152 on the nose. Should be a perfect brewday. I took the day off work. I have 3 slabs of pork ribs to throw on the smoker later. It's a beautiful day in the driveway brewery. And the Giants home opener starts in a few hours.

Just had a (probably bad) idea while watching my wort come to a boil. Cream of 3 crops. 3 grains like one of my favorite beers -- Triple Karmeleit. Karmeleit is barley, wheat and oats. But it had me wondering what this beer would be like with a Belgian yeast. I did a couple batches of a Belgian Blonde last year that were delicious. Might have to try a batch with this malt bill sometime. Triple Crop Cream-eleit?

How does this 5 gallon batch look?

I witnessed the most insane hot break. It was like melted marshmellows 4 inches thick.
And check out the cold break material. I could not even filter it out as usual.

6 2Row
1 Maize
1 Flaked Rice

Mashed in @ 153 w/12 qts (went to town, was "suppose" to take 1 hour, took 3 hours, It was still 151 on the return)
Mashed out w/16 qts, Fly sparged very slow, took over an hour

90 minute boil
1 oz Mt Hood 6.7 @ 60
tsp Irish Moss @ 15

OG 1.053 (90% eff)
immersion chilled to 58 and pitched Nottingham

DSCN03451.JPG

definitely very clear, but the taste is bad. Don't know what I did, something must have went wrong. I cannot even drink it.:(

I just opened my first bottle of this last night and all I can say is that out of all the other recipes that I have tried here on these forums this is the best one by far! I will be making this one again!!

For all the bottlers out there here is what I done.

I bottled carbonated with 6 oz corn sugar @ 70ᵒ-75ᵒ F for 2 weeks than I cold conditioned for 2 weeks and this I would say came out tasting like it was commercial made. It is just one great tasting brew.
I also would like to let you know that I did build my own water using distilled water. If anyone would like to know the salt additions I added to build my water profile for this just let me know.
Thanks for the recipe!!

Just had a (probably bad) idea while watching my wort come to a boil. Cream of 3 crops. 3 grains like one of my favorite beers -- Triple Karmeleit. Karmeleit is barley, wheat and oats. But it had me wondering what this beer would be like with a Belgian yeast. I did a couple batches of a Belgian Blonde last year that were delicious. Might have to try a batch with this malt bill sometime. Triple Crop Cream-eleit?

That sounds really good! If you ferment it at the high end of the temperature range, it might be a wonderfully fruity Belgian light ale. Please do it, and let us know how it comes out!

i just finished brewing this.,im an idiot and added the hops when the boil started, so to be safe i only did a 60 minute boil. hopefully it comes out ok

I did a 60 min boil and it came out fine, and it was closer to a simmer than a boil.

Have any of you put this beer on nitro before? I just kicked my stout, and will be brewing this beer en masse as a pre-run for a big party im having this summer. I wanna put one on normal co2 tap, and another 5 gal on the nitrogen with a stout faucet. Im thinking it'll be pretty tasty. So, has anyone tried it?

Have any of you put this beer on nitro before? I just kicked my stout, and will be brewing this beer en masse as a pre-run for a big party im having this summer. I wanna put one on normal co2 tap, and another 5 gal on the nitrogen with a stout faucet. Im thinking it'll be pretty tasty. So, has anyone tried it?

I have not but I have made this several times. It would be a mighty purty looking beer though! It wold be bright and golden with nice pillowy head.

the recipe says single infusion mash. this just means adding all the water at one time right? instead of batch sparging.

and also, northern brewer has flaked maize this is the same thing as the flaked corn in the recipe right?

the recipe says single infusion mash. this just means adding all the water at one time right? instead of batch sparging.

and also, northern brewer has flaked maize this is the same thing as the flaked corn in the recipe right?

Single infusion means there is no temperature change or water additions throughout the mash. IE You pick a single mash temperature and thats what it stays at throughout the mashing process. There will still be a sparge(whether it be fly or batch sparge).

Maize = corn

beer smith shows this at 43 calories/pint. i could drink a case and lose weight in the process! :rockin:

I'm thinking about tossing around 4 oz of honey malt into my next batch just for the heck of it.

I'd like to try this but I'm confused. Is the "in the fermenter" volume 10 gallons or 11.5 gallons?

I believe BM wanted a final boil volume of 11.5 gallons. I'm sure he does this to make up for the fact that you lose a bit of brew throughout the process. I actually made this exact recipe tonight. I did a 14.5 gallon pre-boil for 90 minutes and ended up with around 11.5 gallons. My efficiency was a bit high, so I ended up with an OG of 1.050. Oh well, no one ever complained about a bit more alcohol.

Here's a thought.
Replace the 2-row with Pilsner.
Ferment 1/2 with S-05 @ 62F.
Ferment 1/2 with a Belgian yeast, start at 62F for 24 hours, move to room temperature and let it ramp itself up in temperature.

A hybrid BPA and a hybrid cream ale.

Quite a bit outside my experience range so I don't have a good idea how well it would work. What do you think?

Has anyone tried this recipe with a cream ale yeast or maybe a lager like 2112 ? I liked this recipe when i made it with us-05. I dont have any 05 but i do have washed 2112 ready to go ?? Any thoughts:eek:

Well here's a bit of an update on the 10 gallon batch I brewed on 4-19-10. I did one batch with Nottingham and one batch with S-05. Both had a OG of 1.050. With that said, the Nottingham is now done at 1.011 and the S-05 is still going, but is currently at 1.09! That is going to be one dry brew.

Once again, great recipe BM.

J

I finally moved my version of this recipe from the secondary to the keg last night. It was clear, but had a sour/bitter taste...more sour than bitter I'd guess. It wasn't bad, but was unexpected...almost like a mild lemony/orange peely taste. My first all-grain and had to half the recipe. Used hallertau hops so had to kind of estimate the desired IBU since it was my first. Could it be the hop I taste? Or could it be that it is just flat and dry and only a couple of months old right now?

took the plunge and is now in the process of brewing this all grain. wooohoooo wish me luck

Starting this this weekend as my second all grain. I haven't gone through all the posts, but has anyone added the crystal hops a little later than at the start of the boil? I was thinking of holding back about .25 oz for a 5 minute addition to get just a bit of aroma at the end.

Do you think that kolsch yeast would work for this? Wyeast 2565 is what I used recently and I will be washing it in a few weeks when I transfer to the secondary.

Dtrain

Do you think that kolsch yeast would work for this? Wyeast 2565 is what I used recently and I will be washing it in a few weeks when I transfer to the secondary.

Dtrain

Kolsch yeast would work great. Try to keep it on the cooler side and if possible let it sit at around 55 degrees for a week or so toward the end.

So i substituted hallertau for the crystal since my lhbs was out, and read on the package that they were coming in at a whopping 7.1%! Should I do anything different, or just toss em in and see how it goes?

suggestions?

Well, I just kegged 10 gallons of this. 5 with Notty and 5 with S-05. I must say, the S-05 produced a much better beer.

Once again, great recipe BM.

J

Brewed this today with many firsts and beat the rain by minutes but still had to chill under the patio.

1. Full Wort Hop. Changed this last minute with 4% Spalter hops (5 gallon batch)
2. Whirlfloc, hoping this drops everything out.
3. Whirlpooling, didn't do ****. No center mound or anyhthing, just a slight decrease in sediment around edge of pot. Ended up dumping/straining rest into carboy.
4. S05, looking forward to this.

I held back about .25 oz hallertau and threw them in at 15 min remaining. Also used irish moss for the first time, I'm looking forward to seeing if I notice a difference.

Ended up with plenty of wort in the fermenter (5.5 gal+) which was better than my first all grain try (only got 4.5 gal) but the OG was a little low, 1.036.

So i substituted hallertau for the crystal since my lhbs was out, and read on the package that they were coming in at a whopping 7.1%! Should I do anything different, or just toss em in and see how it goes?

suggestions?

I like using Hallertau for cream and blonde ales - lighter beers like this. You can plug the amounts, AA% and boil time into BeerSmith or one of the other calculators to figure out how to hit the IBU level you want.

Back