Cream Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday we were at World of beer, which if you dont know is a beer bar, there are 2 within 4 miles of us and between them have around 200 beers on draft.

I had never tried a cream ale but there was one that took my eye from a local brewery to our area called Jailbreak, there poor righteous is great.
This beer as called Chairity, a cream ale with cherries,vanilla,lactose and oats.

This beer was fantastic so smooth and the cheery and vanilla really came through, first one went down a treat in near 90 degree temps. But alas the one i had kicked the barrel BUMMER.

My question is are all cream ales so smooth and easy to drink..

And why the hell havent i had a cream ale before.:mug:

My wife and I always have a Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale) beer on our 5 tap lineup in the warm months. In fact I brewed one this weekend.

Cream Ales are noted for being low IBU's, light and refreshing. Using flaked maize and flaked rice along with your base malts gives the beer refreshing lightness yet a satisfying mouthfeel at the same time. I made mine with 15 IBU goal, OG was 1.050, US-05 yeast which I expect to finish close to 5% ABV. Willamette and crystal hops are in the recipe I use but any Nobel hop (or similar) can be used. This is likely to be among the easiest beers of all to make.

If you look up Cream of Three Crops I used the recipe by BierMuncher. Instead of flaked rice I use Great Value generic minute rice to save a few coins.

They are pretty smooth, basically just a more ale-like light lager.

The perfect cross over beer for BMC crowd. Sweetness from the corn, nominal hops, yet still crisp due to simple, low gravity beer with a clean, high attenuating yeast, is sure to appeal to BMC crowd.

I make a dark one and the yuengling crowd love it.

I keep some cream ale in my pipeline at all times. It's a good beer to play with in that you can change the hops (any low alpha acid variety should do), add fruit or spices, and generally jazz it up. I had added jalepenos to my last batch and my daughter wants cherries in my next batch.

A crowd favorite, no doubt.

I keep some cream ale in my pipeline at all times. It's a good beer to play with in that you can change the hops (any low alpha acid variety should do), add fruit or spices, and generally jazz it up. I had added jalepenos to my last batch and my daughter wants cherries in my next batch.

A crowd favorite, no doubt.

Excellent. How will you handle your cherry infusion?

Excellent. How will you handle your cherry infusion?

I anticipate using a 49oz can of sweet cherry puree in the primary following fermentation.

Have read a good bit on the subject but will keep absorbing info leading up to tbe brew day. My final decision may be different than above.

I anticipate using a 49oz can of sweet cherry puree in the primary following fermentation.

Have read a good bit on the subject but will keep absorbing info leading up to tbe brew day. My final decision may be different than above.

Would you rack the beer from primary onto fruit puree in a secondary?

Does Kevin have sweet cherry puree at DIY?

Would you rack the beer from primary onto fruit puree in a secondary?

Does Kevin have sweet cherry puree at DIY?

He is ordering me some, but all he had was sour cherry in stock.

I may rack to a secondary but I don't usually. Can you do it in the primary? I read of someone doing that but it may not work as well.

He is ordering me some, but all he had was sour cherry in stock.

I may rack to a secondary but I don't usually. Can you do it in the primary? I read of someone doing that but it may not work as well.

I'd love to hear your techniques since this would be something I want to try myself.

Back