Cream Ale Recomendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik Rodriguez

Reaction score
Anyone know of a really good Cream Ale recipe (All Grain) or kit? I would love to brew a batch and try it out.

Last edited:
There's a popular recipe here called "Cream of Three Crops" you might want to look at. Generally cream ales and American lagers contain either corn or rice, with corn being more common; this recipe contains a little of both (hence the name; the third "crop" is barley.)

I brewed a rice cream ale a couple of years ago that turned out good:
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.85%
IBU (tinseth): 27.41
SRM (morey): 3.02

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Pilsner (77.4%)
4 oz - Acidulated Malt (3.2%)
1.5 lb - Jasmine rice (19.4%)
HOPS:
0.5 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 20.62
0.5 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.79

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 2 gal

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - German Ale Yeast K-97

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

NOTES:
This recipe is inspired by Japanese Sapparo beer (I don't know if they really use rice) re-imagined as a cream ale.
The rice is broken jasmine rice from the Asian market (they sell it like that) simmered for a half hour in a gallon of the strike water. 1.5 pound is the precooked weight.
Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2020-01-31 21:50 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-05-28 02:21 UTC

Notice the recipe is only 4 gallons. To brew 5 gallons, just scale-up the grain, water, and hops.

Last edited:
First beer I ever made was Northern Brewers Speckled Heifer. When I bottled, I bottled half plain, then mixed in some bourbon vanilla extract and bottled the rest. The vanilla version took an extra month before it melded together right, and even then I think I preferred the 'plain'. It's one of only 3 recipes that I've brewed a second time.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/speckled-heifer-partial-mash-kit

Edit: Looking at the current recipe, I think they have changed it since I brewed it in 2012. I am sure it used to have a little honey malt in it...

Last edited:
My American Cream Ale from Brewer's Best will be ready on Saturday. I will let you know how it turned out. I drank a bit of the flat beer before bottling and I already like it like that... i can't wait to try it after bottle conditioning this weekend!

I like the articles Josh Weikert did, and he has one for just about every beer style.
This was his cream ale article.

I like @Yooper 's Dads Cream Ale, which is basically cream ale but finish with some Cascade, so not really traditional, but shhhh, don't tell anyone. (4# ea 2-row & 6-row, 1.5# flaked corn, 1# flaked rice, IBU to 16-18 with anything at 60m, 1oz Cascade and or Amarillo at 5m)

Cream of three crops. I've made the all grain version with "rice solids" and instant rice and safeale yeast. Easy drinking and clears up nicely. People who say they don't like homebrew like this beer. It is less hoppy than Gennessee cream, but I bet you could hop it up and get there.

I like the articles Josh Weikert did, and he has one for just about every beer style. This was his cream ale article. https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-cream-ale/

I generally use corn grits when I make cream ales, but sometimes rice. I like the idea of just using a small amount of sugar for the adjunct; it's cheap and simple, and saves time because I don't have to cook it. I will try that in my next brew. I have some Crystal hops, but think I will use just a small amount of Columbus for this one. (I have never used Columbus before but I hear it has a powerful aroma) A single addition (about half an ounce) at 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back