Crazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COMABEER

Reaction score
I started a batch of Black IPA on Friday 2/1. Fermentation hadn't started by Sunday morning, the carboy was at 66. External temp around 72-74. I put a heating pad next to it on the out side of the cover and fermentation started on Sunday night. I took the pad off. This morning it looked like someone had stuck a blender in it because it was going crazy. Today when I got home it had exploded. When I removed the air lock it exploded again and released a quiet a bit of stuff. it subsided and I washed it off and sanitized the stopper and air lock. If I fond a mess again what should I do.

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 lbs 79.50 % Pilsner Liquid Extract 60 mins
5.00 ozs 3.11 % Fawcett Pale Chocolate 60 mins 1.030

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 23.20 Galena 60 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 9.06 Columbus (Tomahawk) 10 mins 14.00
1.00 ozs 4.63 Simcoe 5 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 3.03 Amarillo Gold 5 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
(none)

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
(none)

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.531

Sent from my iPad

I started a batch of Black IPA on Friday 2/1. Fermentation hadn't started by Sunday morning, the carboy was at 66. External temp around 72-74. I put a heating pad next to it on the out side of the cover and fermentation started on Sunday night. I took the pad off. This morning it looked like someone had stuck a blender in it because it was going crazy. Today when I got home it had exploded. When I removed the air lock it exploded again and released a quiet a bit of stuff. it subsided and I washed it off and sanitized the stopper and air lock. If I fond a mess again what should I do.

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 7 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 lbs 79.50 % Pilsner Liquid Extract 60 mins
5.00 ozs 3.11 % Fawcett Pale Chocolate 60 mins 1.030

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 23.20 Galena 60 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 9.06 Columbus (Tomahawk) 10 mins 14.00
1.00 ozs 4.63 Simcoe 5 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 3.03 Amarillo Gold 5 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
(none)

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
(none)

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.531

Sent from my iPad

You should do exactly what you did before, clean up the mess and sanitize the airlock and stopper before you put them back on. It isn't likely to happen again as the fast part of the ferment should be about over now. Sit back and relax and let the yeast continue their slower job of breaking down the rest of the compounds to clean up the off flavors.

For your next brew, don't add any heat. The yeast go through 3 phases, the first being lag where they build up their numbers. Then they begin to consume the sugars and excrete CO2 and alcohol. Once this phase is complete they continue at a much slower pace which may take more than a week. I like to give my beers nearly 3 weeks from pitching yeast to give the yeast sufficient time to complete the ferment and clean up. If you start the ferment cooler, the yeast work slower, create fewer off flavors and leave you with better tasting beer.

Back