Crazy amounts of blow off 24hrs in (vid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
[youtube]6nPA99OTkwg[/youtube]

I'm doing a Stephe Hefe clone and pitched my WY3068 24 hours ago. My lid isn't so air tight so I put 40lbs of weight on the top to seal it up. I've never used this yeast or made a hefe before. For me this is INSANE fermentation.

What do you guys think?

Lookin' good Ryan. Not to worry, man. Nothing insane there.

It's really not important for the lid to be sealed, in fact I would remove the weight in case the blow-off tube clogs. Things could REALLY get insane if the lid couldn't pop!!

I would even go so far as to point out that commercial breweries typically use open fermentation for that style.

Really? I didn't know that. I've since taken the weighs off and the stuff is spewing out the sides of the lid. I just don't want to loose so much of my glorious beer. I took that vid a few hours ago and I've since had to empty some liquid out of my blowoff tank. It's become even more robust in the past couple hours. Wow. I can't wait for the :ban: flavor goodness.

its also possible you temps might be a bit high. Over the past year, I've been able to control my blow off by lowering the temps a bit.

I'd like to see what that yeast could do in a completely sealed container. Of course we hear about stressed lids and sprayed ceilings, but what if the lid couldn't come off? I think an experiment is in order...volunteers?

My guess is the pressure would eventually kill off the yeast... either that or a bomb. Think dry ice bomb.

I'd like to see what that yeast could do in a completely sealed container. Of course we hear about stressed lids and sprayed ceilings, but what if the lid couldn't come off? I think an experiment is in order...volunteers?

Depending on what the container was made of It would explode on a grand scale. I have a good friend who lost his eye to a bottle that exploded after it was over primed. I've seen a cork come out of a beer bottle and go straight thru a 5/8" sheetrock ceiling. Left a perfectly round hole.

It's kinda like those plastic rocket toys that you fill half way with water then pump with air. Remember how high those things went?

My temp in there is 63-65, after the first few days I'm moving it to my furnace room which stays about 77 to really bring out the banana flavor.

As far as the yeast in a sealed vessel, I am a high pressure power plant operator and know a thing or two about this. If you were to use say a 5 gallon drum, like the ones turpentine comes in, and weld a piece of sheet metal over the opening once pitching the yeast a number of things could happen.

1. Most likely the pressure will build up to the point that it kills the yeast. Not so much the crushing pressure but the corresponding pressure temperature relationship. Even 2 psi should bring the temp up to 126F.

2. I am wrong and pressure / temp relationship doesn't apply here like it does with normal fluids and the yeast continues to build pressure until the weakest joint on the vessel ruptures sending the tank spiraling out of control.

3. The vessel has a complete universally sound seal, and the tank ruptures with catastrophic force equally in all directions.

I think we should as a group submit this idea to the mythbusters over at discovery. They'll do it for us. Maybe we can suggest a whole fermentation themed show.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! Maybe this summer I'll put together some hooch w/ a big starter and epoxy the top on a bucket...leave it out in the yard with a camera on it...

Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

Just to give some ideas about what a closed container could do. The thread also talks about at what pressure yeast die off (13 psi?).

The pressure-temperature correlation doesn't apply well to this situation. Just from the gas laws (I have no practical experience), a sealed fermentor isn't an isolated system, the Press.-Temp correlation requires the process to be adiabatic (no heat exchange to the surroundings).

:off:I'm curious about this 126F temperature from a 2 psi pressure increase. Under what conditions does this happen in a power plant setting? Steam generation, I assume? In that case it seems to fit well with the gas laws.

The 5 Seasons Brewery by my house uses something very similar to that, just a pressure relief valve over a certain psi in conicals. Pretty sweet setup.

I'm bookmarking this for the summer, when I can do this outside and get solid fermentation.

The 5 Seasons Brewery by my house uses something very similar to that, just a pressure relief valve over a certain psi in conicals. Pretty sweet setup.

I'm bookmarking this for the summer, when I can do this outside and get solid fermentation.

Lots of breweries use some back pressure on the blow off to reduce ester production. The beer even comes out slightly carbonated.

Yeah saturated steam at 2psi is 126F. With no heat exchange though the gas laws won't apply. I was wrong.

It's really not important for the lid to be sealed, in fact I would remove the weight in case the blow-off tube clogs. Things could REALLY get insane if the lid couldn't pop!!

Please set up your camera on a tri-pod in case this happens. I would LOVE to see the aftermath :)

Well, after 48 hours I have removed the blow off tube and replace it with a standard S airlock. While this yeast was really cranking there for awhile it really only did it for 1 day. I must say, all the build up people gave this yeast, it's a little underwhelming after the first day has passed. I'm getting 1 bubble every 10-12 seconds or so.

Hahaha, that's nothing

Had I taken another video a few hours later you would have seen the same thing as you're describing. It was a stead flow of foam into the jug, pure chaos. I needed to empty it three times.

What's yours looking like now? Mine's all but dead.. bubble here and there from the airlock.

I hope I didn't blow out too much yeast and now it's gonna stick. =\

Had I taken another video a few hours later you would have seen the same thing as you're describing. It was a stead flow of foam into the jug, pure chaos. I needed to empty it three times.

What's yours looking like now? Mine's all but dead.. bubble here and there from the airlock.

I hope I didn't blow out too much yeast and now it's gonna stick. =\

Haha, mine went absolutely INSANE for a good 24+ hours and then went to a 1-1 beat bubble. Let it do that for a day and attached my airlock. It's still fermenting well and at a constant pace of about a bubble every 20 seconds or so.

Well, after 48 hours I have removed the blow off tube and replace it with a standard S airlock. While this yeast was really cranking there for awhile it really only did it for 1 day. I must say, all the build up people gave this yeast, it's a little underwhelming after the first day has passed. I'm getting 1 bubble every 10-12 seconds or so.

Just remember not to gauge the fermentation activity by the bubbles in your airlock. As you saw when you removed the weight from the lid, the CO2 has more than one way out of your fermentor.

Back