Crappy Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Brewed 2 beers today, Rich Brewers Pumpkin Ale and a Barleywine. After getting a 4 hour late start, neither of my buddies showing up to help, running out of propane in the middle of a boil(yeah my second tank ran out during the same boil too), aiming for 1.105 OG on my barleywine and only ended up with 1.089, and the swmbo bitchin at me for having this stupid beer hobby, I'm ready for a break!

On the good side, the Pumpkin Ale is already bubbling and should be seeing activity on the Barleywine at any moment. When I was drawing off the hydrometer sample on the Pumpkin Ale I took a sip and it was just like pumkin pie! Cannot wait for that one to be ready.

I cant wait until they start selling pumpkins here. I think im gonna stock up and make a few batches this fall.

Sounds like time to make something for swmbo.

I always put empty propane tanks in my van, even before I hook up the second tank. Having the empty banging around in the back is more likely to result in a timely refill. I'm an hour from a source. Really need to tap into the house propane.

Working on a crappy day myself. Went to crush my grain and both batteries for my drill are dead, Been taking forever to charge em up, get a little milled, swap battery, mill some more, swap battery:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: Almost got it all done but I'm about 2 hrs behind. Did get 2 beers racked to 2ndary while I was waiting though.

Same here. I've got all the ingredients prepped and ready to go, and its raining.

I think I'll just go ahead and brew and be a bit miserable while sparging (I'm pretty much covered during all the other stages)

-D

david_42 said:
Sounds like time to make something for swmbo.

swmbo doesn't drink. She maybe drinks 2 - 4 packs of wine coolers a year :(

david_42 said:
I always put empty propane tanks in my van, even before I hook up the second tank. Having the empty banging around in the back is more likely to result in a timely refill. I'm an hour from a source. Really need to tap into the house propane.

Neither of my propane tanks were empty when I started the day. I figured there'd be plenty enough to finish one batch of beer, then I could at least go exchange one before I started the next batch. As luck would have it the first tank ran out 14 minutes into the boil and the second tank fizzled out about another 15 minutes later. I only live a couple miles from an exchange thankfully.

Well the important thing is when I checked on my beers this morning they looked like this :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd Street Brewery said:
Just finishing my 90 min mash. Doesn't look like I'll be making the bar for NASCAR on time today.

Don't rush... The rain still hasn't let up yet. They think they'll be able to get the race going, but it's definatlely not gonna be for awhile yet.

EDIT: Race has been cancelled till Noon (et) Monday.

dblvsn said:
Don't rush... The rain still hasn't let up yet. They think they'll be able to get the race going, but it's definatlely not gonna be for awhile yet.
I can't believe I'm sitting here in a severe drought watching my yard die and NASCAR has had how many races affected by rain this year?

BTW, I wouldn't consider that a crappy brewday...below average, but I can think of a lot worse ;)

And thar she blows!! The barleywine is going nuts right now!

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

It could be worse I guess I figure if I'm brewing no matter how it goes I'm not at work!!!

I really like your fermentation chamber. Can you provide any details.

Thanks

Beer looks great the Pumpkin beer is intriguing

The fermentation chamber is a small deep freeze with a 6" collar. It's actually my keezer once all these beers finish fermenting. It's a work in progress at the moment as I will be facing the collar in oak and still have to install 5 shanks and faucets. All that is done so far is the collar, so as I continue work on it I'll post pics.

The Pumpkin Ale was a recipe in the database from Rich Brewer Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back