crankenstien 3D issues... please help.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halosld

Reaction score
I just bought the crankenstien 3D mill and put it together using the SLO Brewer Dave's Brewing Website to build a hopper and base. Its together and when i run the mill it keeps getting stuck. Im using a drill like most people, but i filled the hopper with like 1/2lb of grains to clean the rollers and when i powered it it was stuck. and had to go back and forth to get the grains milled. I also tried changing the spacing of the 3rd roller with the adjustment knob and it still wouldnt help. Im not sure if the mill is defective or what (prob not, just thinking the worst).. I understand if it gets stuck here n there but not with 1/2lb of grains... any help???????????

Are all the rollers completely free and are you able to spin them? i.e. run a finger along a roller and it should keep rolling for a revolution or two.

Are you sure that your drill has enough torque? I have the same mill and I cant run it with my corded drill but with my makita with plenty of torque it is no problem. it just sticks with my corded drill.

No it def does not do that. Plus the only one that spins is the 1 that has the drill conected to it. I thought maybe at 1st my base housing set up were somewhat tight and so i lossed the bolts n it spinned but its wobbly as heck.... so im not sure... but it def doesnt spin even if i run my fingers through it.

Try to loosen the bolts that hold the mill to the base. Mine was doing the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just noticed that this exact thread is posted multiple times in at least 3 different forums.

Not a great idea to do this, as it causes confusion.

After reading this thread, I refer you back to my response on the Beginners forum.
If that mill is not mounted EXACTLY on the base, and the rollers/bearings are NOT perpendicular to the end plates (where the rotation occurs), you will get binding of the rollers and problems such as the ones you are having.

Align it correctly and tighten the mill to the base.

Back