Crankandstein vs MonsterMill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebob296

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently, I have been researching into purchasing a grain mill. I am looking at a 2 roller mill between a Crankandstein(2s or 2D) or a MM-2 1/2" shaft. Obviously, the more popular choice is the MM2. Honestly, I haven't been able to find any recent reviews of a Crankandstein not on their website nor on HBT. Also, I heard something about a past spilt between these two companies, but don't know why they went separate ways? Why is the MM2 a much more popular choice? They look almost identical, except the Crankand stein has grain engaged gear teeth.

I was looking at the jsp mill myself. But I would love to hear anymore discussion over either mill. I wanted a mm then got to play with the jsp mill with my hands at a Homebrew shop. I don't plan to motorize the mill. So I will hand crank or that could change to a drill motor but not likely.

I to looked at the JSP mill, but the rollers are to long. My top priority is size which is why I found the C&S, it's rollers are shorter then the MM2. Shorter rollers means smaller motor/drill.

The larger the diameter of your rollers, the better the crush quality will be. I've had a MM2-2 for several years now and it has been a trooper. I condition my grain prior to milling and the husks are almost all intact and the kernels are reduced to near flour. The intact husks are important in my system since I RIMS.

The larger the diameter of your rollers, the better the crush quality will be.

Care to explain this one to me? I guess the larger rollers would have more crushing surface area on the grain making it more even?

Care to explain this one to me? I guess the larger rollers would have more crushing surface area on the grain making it more even?

Also the residence contact time between the rollers and the grain is higher. More contact means less chance of grains slipping through the gap, and yes, a more even crush.

Another vote for the MM2 here. I've got 2-inch rollers on mine and it consistently outperforms mills I've used elsewhere -- JSP included. Malt conditioning with a 0.035" gap setting has resulted in 85%+ mash efficiency. One of the most remarkable things I've noticed is how intact the husks stay with this mill.

Also the residence contact time between the rollers and the grain is higher. More contact means less chance of grains slipping through the gap, and yes, a more even crush.

...and larger diameter rollers need less/no knurling to 'grab' the grain, reducing tearing/shredding of the husk further.

...and larger diameter rollers need less/no knurling to 'grab' the grain, reducing tearing/shredding of the husk further.

I have an ebiab setup. Is tearing/shredding really an issue? I read that it leads to tannin extraction but I thought mash ph is what determined that.

Nah. Well, I guess there will be ppl who think so, but as long as you are able to lauter on your setup without stuck mashes, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back