Cranberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geo1976

Reaction score
I have some fresh cranberries in the freezer i want to incorporate into a wheat beer. 5 gallon Recipe as follows:

6 lbs American Pale 2 row
4 lbs White wheat malt
8 oz Victory malt
8 oz Cara-pils
8 oz Oats Flakes
1 lb Wheat flaked
1 lb Rice hulls

1.5 oz Tettnang at 60
0.5 oz Cascade at 30
0.5 oz Cascade at 5

California Ale WLP0001 starter

The question is when and how to add the cranberries. Thought about during the mash, temps would obviously be below boiling and prevent pectin from being released. If i add them in the boil Pectin should definitely be released, if so i was thinking i adding pectic enzyme to clear ( never done that in a beer, only cider), or just soaking them in Rum and adding them to the secondary whole.

Thoughts? Experience?

I just brewed a cranberry wheat last week - it's fermenting now.

My recipe said to add them right at knockout. I noticed that they swelled and burst, presumably releasing their juices etc. into the wort. As far as I can tell, that was a good time to do it.

As for pectin haze, I don't know if there is or would be any yet; however, it's a wheat beer, right? It's going to be hazy anyway. :mug:

Good luck!

Ron

I just brewed a cranberry wheat last week - it's fermenting now.

My recipe said to add them right at knockout. I noticed that they swelled and burst, presumably releasing their juices etc. into the wort. As far as I can tell, that was a good time to do it.

As for pectin haze, I don't know if there is or would be any yet; however, it's a wheat beer, right? It's going to be hazy anyway. :mug:

Good luck!

Ron

Thanks Ron,

True True wheat "should" be cloudy, but I've had ciders not clear from pectin early on in my my cider making, and that haze is very different than a wheat beer haze, to me anyway.

i chill my beer pretty rapidly especially this time of year, but i guess i could do a "berry" stand. :)

I crush the cranberries in a sanitized blender after heating to 160 for 10 mins. Then I put that mix in a nylon bag, and put it in the secondary bucket, after primary fermentation is finished. Set for 7 days, then rack to bottling bucket.

Back