Cranberry Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobster_Sushi

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to making mead since last spring. I'm working on making a gallon of cranberry orange mead. I was just wondering how much orange peel to the mead.

Thanks

That entirely depends on your plans for the mead.

Do you want it to be very “orangey”? Are you willing to let it age for a while? How long will it sit on the orange peel?

For myself, I usually only want the orange to be on the subtle side. Otherwise it could add a lot of tannins and tang. I only use it in secondary so it can…
1. Sit for at least 2 weeks
2. Use the alcohol from primary to extract the flavor.

For the methods described above, I usually use the peel from 1 large orange for a 3-5 gallon batch. That being said, I’m not 1 to let things over age, you however might be willing to let something be for a year or more. In that case the flavors will soften up and settle out. Rind from 1 large orange could be real nice in a single gallon.

You should use the zest, not the entire peel. The white part of the peel will make your mead bitter. Use a grater or a zester or a potato peeler to cut off just the zest (the orange part) from the outside.

For me, the zest of 1 orange is a good starting amount for 1-gal. If you want the orange flavor to be very subtle you could use less. Leave it in for 1-2 weeks in the secondary, then if the orange flavor is not strong enough you can add more. If you want, you could start with some zest in the primary. Then add more in the secondary as needed to bring the orange flavor to a level you like.

Latest posts

Back