Cranberry Ginger Ale Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIMARIPA

Reaction score
or is it Cranberry Ginger Cider Braggot?

Either way I've been mulling over a recipe for something that contains these elements. I'm aiming for something >10% abv but still with a good body to it. I fear that the tartness/ bitterness of the cider/cranberries/hops will require some residual sweetness to balance it out, but I still would like something I can bottle carb.

Here is what I'm working with so far:

Cranberry Ginger Ale Cyser

Boil
Water 2 gallons for boil
crystal 40 1lbs, steeped
light dme 3lbs
malto dextrin 4 oz
bittering hops 0.5oz 60 minutes
aroma (?calypso) hops 0.5 oz 5 min
Ginger 12oz chopped: 4 oz boiled, 4 oz primary, 4 oz in secondary(titrated if too gingery already)

Primary
apple cider 3 gallons
cranberry honey 6lbs
Water to 5.5 gallons
Yeast (d47?)
Pectic enzyme
yeast nutrient

Secondary
Cranberries 3lbs in secondary

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, I think I may be learning just enough about brewing to make something truly awful.

maybe more cranberries, and I'm waiting to taste my apocalypso kit to see what the calypso hops are like. If I'm still unsure maybe I'll make a graff with them to do a test drive before doing my Sparkling Cran Ginger Graff Mead.

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again:

Hey,
Just wanted to wrap this thread up since I started it and all. I did end up bumping the ABV pretty significantly and I think it turned out quite good. You couldn't really taste the alcohol and there lots of people that kept asking for more it despite the fact that I had 5 other homebrew's, commercial beer, wine, etc.... also available. Here's the recipe I used:

Cranberry Zinger 45 Minute Boil
OG = 1.083 (before the fruit) FG=1.016 (after everything)
6 lbs. Wheat Dry Extract
1 Bag of Brewvint Alcohol Boost
1 oz Cascade 45 Min
2 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
Yeast Nutrient
US-05 Yeast
----------------
Pectin Enzyme
4 lbs cranberries
2 Granny Smith Apples (cored)
3 Navel Oranges (the whole thing)

After a week of fermentation, I added the stuff in the second part of the list. I just added it directly to the primary. The ABV was 8.78 before you factor in the extra from the fruit. I have no idea how to do that so I just went with 9.5% as my estimate.. close enough.

I'm REALLY tempted to get one of these going real soon--to have ready for Turkey Day. I suggest a group brew because a few have expressed interest in this. We'll include the extract brewers in this, as BYO doesn't provide an AG option and I'm in the mood to brew up a quick brew.
Any interest?

Cranberry Zinger
5 gallons

OG = 1.044 FG = 1.007
IBU = 11 SRM = 3 ABV = 4.8%

14 oz. Briess wheat dried malt extract
3.3 lbs Coopers Wheat liquid malt extract

2.0 lbs. orange blossom honey
3.0 lbs whole cranberries
2 medium navel oranges (seedless)
2 medium apples (granny smith)
1/4 tsp. yeast nutrients
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1/2--2 tsp. malic acid or acid blend (optional)

4 AAU Willamette hops (30 mins)
(0.8 oz./23 g of 5% alpha acids)

Safale US-56 dried ale yeast (3 packages)

1.2 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step
Bring 1.5 gallons of water to a boil and add dried malt extract and hops. Boil for 30 minutes, adding yeast nutients with 15 minutes remaining in boil. After boil, shut off heat and stir in liquid malt extract and honey. Put lid on pot and let hot wort sit for 15 minutes before cooling. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Add water to make 5 gallons, aerate, and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68F degrees. Let ferment until completion. Make cranberry relish by combining cranberries, apples (cored) and whole oranges (rind and all) in a grinder or food processor, chop to cranberry relish consitency. Put cranberry relish at bottom of sanitized bucket, rack beer on top of it and add pectic enzyme. After 7-10 days of contact with relish, bottle or keg beer. Adjust acidity with malic acid, if desired. Bottled or keg and carbonate so beer is fizzy.

Just some additional food for thought on this one.

Brew day came and went with this one and it bubbling away now. I stuck to the recipe as posted with a few exceptions.

Grains: I had some extra lying around so I used 1 lb crystal 40 and .5 lb crystal 20

Hops: Yakima goldings boiled 30 minutes in 1.5 gallons water with 1 gallon cider

Ginger 8 oz in boil, 8 oz in primary

Cider topped up with 3.5 gallons so final volume was closer to 6 gallons

Cranberries: 10 oz in primary ( one o the bags opened and was spilling so I tossed it in) 50 oz frozen to be added to secondary

Yeast: 71b

Gravity: 1.10, although some of the honey may still have been clumped despite my vigorous whipping.

Secondary: I'll rack and add the cranberries (maybe with some orange zest) once fermentation slows

Well, I don't think it would be a braggot lol. The definition of a braggot is a mead with malt, and optionally hops. Since you don't have malt, wouldn't it be a Hopped Cranberry Ginger Ale Cyser? I think that would be a better word anyways.

Funny, I made a Ffarg yesterday and was thinking of either adding strawberries or ginger to the primary. Sounds like it would be trying something similar to this only with less alcohol and more malt.

I added the cranberries and some fresh ginger about a week ago an at the time had to rack off some of it to make room in my fermenter. The extra had been sitting under airlock in a 1/2 gallon carboy and I gave it a sample last night. It was delicious, slightly gingery, very smooth with good apple flavor. I'm excited for how it will turn out with the extra fruit to spice it up. Now I just need to figure out how long to bulk age before bottling.

Back