Craigslist find brag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miller4

Reaction score
Finally got one of those great Craigslist finds I hear about. Hopefully it was a good deal anyways.... picked up 8 ball lock kegs and a 20# co2 tank for $150. The kegs all need a thorough going through and looks like some need new O-Rings but otherwise pretty solid. I told my wife “I can’t afford NOT to buy it!”.
C448755C-3092-4257-B56E-C6127838371D.jpeg

Is that your backyard? I'm trucking jealous....
It’s pretty nice, fell into a great deal to rent and couldn’t say no. 5 miles of gravel to the nearest house, and plenty of room to roam. Plus river access... not to add insult to injury.

It’s pretty nice, fell into a great deal to rent and couldn’t say no. 5 miles of gravel to the nearest house, and plenty of room to roam. Plus river access... not to add insult to injury.

5 MILES to your nearest neighbor? Damn that would be nice...I could probably reach out my kitchen window and poke my neighbors house with my 5 iron lol :)

Some people just have all the luck...

I mean there are drawbacks too. No mail or package delivery, a little over an hour one way to get any groceries, unmaintained road. But the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, I’d never be able to live in a city. Also not many jobs once you start to get really rural too, so I guess I’m lucky in that regard too haha.

The kegs all need a thorough going through and looks like some need new O-Rings but otherwise pretty solid.

Nice score. With used kegs, I'd replace all the O-Rings, regardless of what they look like, unless I knew exactly what had been in the kegs since the last change and had great faith in the sanitation practices of the previous owner.

Nice score. With used kegs, I'd replace all the O-Rings, regardless of what they look like, unless I knew exactly what had been in the kegs since the last change and had great faith in the sanitation practices of the previous owner.
Probably a great idea, I think that’s how I’m going to proceed. Some still are 1/4 to 1/2 full Of unknown liquid. I hit the pressure relief on one and it smelled vaguely of pop maybe, I haven’t had time to start going through them yet.

Sorry. Misunderstanding. I was referring to the score on CL.
Not on living in BFE.

edit- not ****-talking. just typing fast.

Sorry. Misunderstanding. I was referring to the score on CL.
Not on living in BFE.

edit- not ****-talking. just typing fast.
No harm no foul, I think one of the factors that helped was that the kegs were listed under “Cory Kegs”. I’m wondering if less people saw the listing because of that.

ha. I literally have a CL search going now for both a co2 tank as well as a c02 tank.

it’s good to remember that if you take the intelligence of your “average” american- half of us are dumber than that.

A neighbor would had seen me brewing on my driveway but whom I hadn't previously met gave me two half barrel sanke kegs, 4 Cornelius and 3 Challenger ball lock kegs, 1 pin lock keg, and 5-lb CO² tank with a Taprite reg. All of the Challenger kegs had dome lids with the weird PRVs, so I replaced those lids. For the ball lock kegs, I replaced all of the o-rings, a couple plastic gas dip tubes, and the PRVs and lid seals on the kegs that didn't get new lids. I also ordered a couple extra poppets for each brand. All in, about $120.

The tank had an expired inspection date, but my local Airgas took it and didn't charge me the testing fee. I pointed out the date and the guy shushed me.

I can't even give away that pin lock keg. The half barrel sanke kegs went to my club. I expect I'll sell most of the kegs to guys in my club for cost of the parts. I can't use this many.

Nice score! I had acquired ball lock kegs which had traces of soda syrup in them.

My suggestion is to replace all the o-rings, especially the o-rings around the ball lock posts since the flavor of the soda syrup can end up in your beer. Also make sure that you give everything a good soaking, I use PBW with hot water for an overnight soak, rince well and sanitize.

After all that I pressurize my kegs to about 5 PSI with CO2, when I go to use the keg I check the pressure. If it didn't hold pressure I won't use it until I can find the source of the leak.

Sorry, but I cannot live somewhere unless there is snow at least one season out of the year.

I stand corrected, sweet!

The sage brush in the original photo threw me off.

The below photos are from the 2011 blizzard in Chicago. Unfortunately we don't get many of these. That is my shed in the first photo and my sidewalk& driveway after snowblowing in the second photo.

IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg

Both of those pics look a lot like where our farm is located in N. Central MT.
North Central Oregon. I worked in Montana for a very short while and really enjoyed it and could have stayed longer. But a good job opportunity came up back near home and being a fifth generation Oregonian makes me kind of like the state.

Last edited:
Back