CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did finally completely download this time with no timeout error. It did take about 5 hours though.
Thanks.
Im having dramas with mine where it crashes and hangs on a please wait screen when I start adding kettles and actors and add the GPIOs. If I remove the HAT it boots to cbpi4 no problem. So currently going through the steps to try and fix it.

So I flashed that image. I included a wpa_supplicant.conf like I always do cause hooking my raspi up to lan is not feasible, the way it's mounted and such out in my shed. But it won't connect to wifi.

Any idears?

I took apart my controller and hooked it up to the ethernet. Everything is working now. Kinda neat. Still unfinished but WAY better than the original development.

Last edited:
Neato! Hopefully the project won't stall out and die now

Hopefully this stays updated and I can delete my Facebook account finally. It's the only reason I still have one lol

Neato! Hopefully the project won't stall out and die now

Hopefully this stays updated and I can delete my Facebook account finally. It's the only reason I still have one lol

Most likely, I won't update the status here that often. But the documentation is currently being updated almost every other day. I can't speak for Manuel, but I will update forks as long as there are issues. I hope, that he will merge all my changes to the main branch.

Hey, I just found out about Craftbeerpi.

I have a Braumeister, and the interface is very bad. Has anyone here replaced a Meisterbrau controller with a Raspberry Pi?

The Meisterbrau only has two things to run: a 23-watt pump and a 2000-watt element. It listens to a single temperature probe.

Greetings to all. Can anyone help me with the redesign of the cbpi4-Flowmeter plugin? I don't know python myself. I constantly have an error with the volume of water, since the speed of the water is not constant. Is it possible to change the code or add to the code the ability to calculate the volume of water by the number of pulses per liter, and not by frequency? The documentation says that there are 450 pulses per liter. Well, so that you can change the number of pulses

Greetings to all. Can anyone help me with the redesign of the cbpi4-Flowmeter plugin? I don't know python myself. I constantly have an error with the volume of water, since the speed of the water is not constant. Is it possible to change the code or add to the code the ability to calculate the volume of water by the number of pulses per liter, and not by frequency? The documentation says that there are 450 pulses per liter. Well, so that you can change the number of pulses
If the flow is not even the the flowmeter may lie. Yo can not calibrate for diferen flows.

If the flow is not even the the flowmeter may lie. Yo can not calibrate for diferen flows.
So I'm asking someone who knows python to remake the plugin for pulse counting. In this mode, the accuracy is independent of the flow rate.

I tested with arduino. Everything is very good. But I don't know python to remake this plugin myself.

I had to re-install CraftbeerPi3. I think I had a bad SD Card.
Now the Add-on page is blank. I've searched but don't see a way to get the addons to show up.
Any suggestions?

1698434185917.png

Craftbeer pi has been released a while ago
Yes, I'm using an old version of CraftbeerPI. The controller crashed as I was starting to heat water for mashing. I don't have time to learn and set-up CBPi4.
But it's been so long ago when I initially set up CBPi3, I don't remember if there was a trick to getting the addons to show up.
Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm using an old version of CraftbeerPI. The controller crashed as I was starting to heat water for mashing. I don't have time to learn and set-up CBPi4.
But it's been so long ago when I initially set up CBPi3, I don't remember if there was a trick to getting the addons to show up.
Any suggestions?
I tested right now and the addons page loads ok.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-27 19-48-41.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-27 19-48-41.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
I can ping the Internet from my Pi. Is there some config or setting in CBPi3 that I can fix to get the addons to show?

pi@brewery:~ $ ping web.craftbeerpi.com
PING manuel83.github.io (185.199.108.153) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from cdn-185-199-108-153.github.com (185.199.108.153): icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=18.7 ms
64 bytes from cdn-185-199-108-153.github.com (185.199.108.153): icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=15.1 ms
64 bytes from cdn-185-199-108-153.github.com (185.199.108.153): icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=16.4 ms
64 bytes from cdn-185-199-108-153.github.com (185.199.108.153): icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=15.6 ms
^C
--- manuel83.github.io ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 15.164/16.494/18.703/1.365 ms
pi@brewery:~ $ ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=21.7 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=23.6 ms
^C
--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 21.710/22.665/23.621/0.967 ms
pi@brewery:~ $

Looking for a bit of help/advice. I'm late to the CraftBeerPi game but after recently obtaining an electric BIAB setup and having my Pi 3b+ be freed up from another task, I decided build myself a new controller using my Pi (because why not....lol).

After reading through a lot of this thread and using @Wootonius schematic as a starting point, I took advantage of the black Friday/cyber Monday specials and got all (I think) of the bits and bobs needed to start putting this together.

Here is my question: In my setup I will have a Mean Well 40W 5V power supply to feed the control side. Would it make sense to power my ULN2003, MAX81365 (I have PT100 sensors currently) and 2 relay boards using a bus directly from the power supply or would it be best to power and control them from the GPIO pins on the Pi? I have never worked much with electronics in this fashion so I am not sure what it best but my thinking is that by powering them directly, it will lower the overhead on the Pi which will hopefully help performance since it is an older model.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Looking for a bit of help/advice. I'm late to the CraftBeerPi game but after recently obtaining an electric BIAB setup and having my Pi 3b+ be freed up from another task, I decided build myself a new controller using my Pi (because why not....lol).

After reading through a lot of this thread and using @Wootonius schematic as a starting point, I took advantage of the black Friday/cyber Monday specials and got all (I think) of the bits and bobs needed to start putting this together.

Here is my question: In my setup I will have a Mean Well 40W 5V power supply to feed the control side. Would it make sense to power my ULN2003, MAX81365 (I have PT100 sensors currently) and 2 relay boards using a bus directly from the power supply or would it be best to power and control them from the GPIO pins on the Pi? I have never worked much with electronics in this fashion so I am not sure what it best but my thinking is that by powering them directly, it will lower the overhead on the Pi which will hopefully help performance since it is an older model.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Well there are different things here. I don't know what will you actuate with the UL2003, but they are NPN darlington, so no power supply .
Max81365 have hi gain amp, so the main point is to have good filtering.
The relays board have separate power for login and for coils, so power the coils from the PSU and the logic from raspi 3.3V .

To add to what @Lalo_uy wrote,the total amperage available at the pins of the P3+ is limited to around 1.75A max. But remember to not exceed around 16mA on each GPIO (logic) pin. The 5V and 3.3V pins can then collectively supply up to 1.75A minus the total concurrent GPIO draw combined with all other external current draw (USB, HDMI, etc.).

Thanks @Lalo_uy and @Alt and limiting the current draw from the GPIO is what I am aiming at here as I do have a touch screen monitor to attach to the Pi. But now I am confused a bit more (not that is takes much sometimes....lol) so let me provide a bit more information.

I read this message earlier in the thread that @Lalo_uy agreed with and thought this meant that the ULN needed a constant 5v and then connect to the SSR- and Pi as below to actuate. I have a step driver board for the ULN which is why I was thinking I could connect the VCC and GND on the ULN directly to the power and ground bus from the power supply.
Its possible that there are ways to wire the uln that I am not familiar with but mine is wired differently. Essentially I have the ssr+ connected directly to the +5v supply (or 5v on rpi). Then the ssr- goes to the output pin of the uln. When 3v is applied to the input pin. Current will flow through the uln output pin and out the uln gnd pin which should also be connected directly to the 5v ground reference (or gnd on rpi). The uln com pin should be at 5v for it to function properly. This essentially uses the uln as a relay controlling the return current from the ssr. The beauty of this layout is it let's you run the ssr with 5v I stead of 3v using only a 3v signal from the pi. I'm using the cheapest of cheap China ssrs (3v-32v) and I have no issue triggering them with this setup.

Cheers

so weird thing is happening for me. My pump when controlled through my craftbeerpi box powers on, but just hums and doesn't pump. When powered directly through an outlet, it runs fine.

I set it up using GPIOsimple, and the relay is rated for 40 amps. Everything is wired with 10 gauge wire, with the exception of the plug itself, which was a 3 foot extension cord from amazon basics that I cut the male head off of and hardwired. This cable appeared to be pretty thin gauge - i think 14 or 16 but just guessing (tho it said rated for 15 amps, which is more than enough).

any ideas why this would happen?

After doing a fresh install today a couple plugins gave this error. Any idea how to over come error.

beerbutcher@raspberrypi:~ $ pipx runpip cbpi4 install cpbi4-DependentActor
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement cpbi4-DependentActor (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for cpbi4-DependentActor
'/home/beerbutcher/.local/pipx/venvs/cbpi4/bin/python -m pip install cpbi4-DependentActor' failed

After doing a fresh install today a couple plugins gave this error. Any idea how to over come error.

beerbutcher@raspberrypi:~ $ pipx runpip cbpi4 install cpbi4-DependentActor
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement cpbi4-DependentActor (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for cpbi4-DependentActor
'/home/beerbutcher/.local/pipx/venvs/cbpi4/bin/python -m pip install cpbi4-DependentActor' failed
Are that plugins ported to Cpbi4?

Question for the group, I've got a working setup using cbpi4, and don't have any issues. From what I gather on the various pieces of documentation, there should be a mobile view for phones/tablets, but when I go to my cbpi instance on my local network on my mobile device, I never see the mobile version. Is there something else I need to do to enable it?

Back