CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pi should be in a box anyway far from spills :)
Powering the pi from the header can be problematic sometimes. I do not have the board so I can't say about the components.
A small short could trigger the transistor of the buzzer.

The pi should be in a box anyway far from spills :)
Powering the pi from the header can be problematic sometimes. I do not have the board so I can't say about the components.
A small short could trigger the transistor of the buzzer.

I'm sure there is a short somewhere. The frustrating part is that nothing happened to the board that would seem to be the cause of a new short. That is why I'm planning to take it off rather than troubleshoot. (Admittedly, making a proper enclosure has been on my to do list for months!)

How would suggest I power the board? I found that the 2.5 amp wall wart doesn't seem to have enough juice to power it. Of course, this could be power demands of the Terragady board. I've been using a 5A LED light power supply wired to the header.

I'm sure there is a short somewhere. The frustrating part is that nothing happened to the board that would seem to be the cause of a new short. That is why I'm planning to take it off rather than troubleshoot. (Admittedly, making a proper enclosure has been on my to do list for months!)

How would suggest I power the board? I found that the 2.5 amp wall wart doesn't seem to have enough juice to power it. Of course, this could be power demands of the Terragady board. I've been using a 5A LED light power supply wired to the header.
I reused an old desktop pc power supply. It had nice steady 5V and it also has 12V for solenoids.

Terragady board has DC/DC converter to power Pi from the 12V supply.

I found that I could not get the 12v converter to work properly. I fried two Pi's in the process. In the end I just took out the converter and jumped the pins and used the power supply at 5v.

I reused an old desktop pc power supply. It had nice steady 5V and it also has 12V for solenoids.

But isn't this supplying the board power at the header? I'm wondering what the alternative is then?

I guess I'm not asking the question correctly.

In post 1241 Cede suggested powering the Pi from the header can be problematic.

Is this true?
Not sure what he means, all expansion boards power the Pi from the header. (I think they may mean powering the expansion board from the pi via the header, and using USB to power the pi, but even that is ok if you calculate your loads and they are under a couple hundred milliamps)

I can say that in post 1051, I show an expansion board being run on 5V with the 12v-5v converter bypassed as I have shown. I used it this way for many months while testing.

Can not figure out what I am doing wrong. RaspberryPi is running. (Raspberry Pi 3 B+) Just cloned the CBP software and loaded it can not get it to start CBP? any suggestions?

Assuming you're using 3.0 and not 2.2...
Open a terminal window and typing the following commands.
Code:
cd ~/craftbeerpi3
sudo ./run.py
What's the output?

My assumption is that a PIP dependency was not installed.

You could try the information here to troubleshoot
https://cbpi.mricesolutions.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=18
It is not taking the command. The Bluetooth keyboard I have can't type the "~".
I am clueless

I will try that in the morning. I followed the links and commands on the CrafbeerPi.com website. Cloned the software using this command:
"git clone https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi.git"

Installed using this:
"cd craftbeerpi"
"sudo ./install.sh"
And followed the instructions and nothing. I noticed that your commands have the "3" after "craftbeerpi"

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Ahh, you installed version 2.2. I'd recommend removing that and using the /craftbeerpi3 clone. It says Beta, but it's quite stable. Manuel is working on V.4

Code:
git clone https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi3

Last edited:
Ahh, you installed version 2.2. I'd recommend removing that and using the /craftbeerpi3 clone. It says Beta, but it's quite stable. Manuel is working on V.4

That is what I thought. You would think the Craftbeer website would be current....

May I ask a favor. It is next to impossible finding the correct, all in one place, instructions on how to do what you just said to do. May I trouble you to post step by step instructions on how to detail what I have and instructions, and maybe links, to replace it correctly?

So many cooks in the kitchen.

I actually just wrote these instructions up this morning for a facebook post.

Code:
sudo service craftbeerpiboot stop
sudo update-rc.d -f craftbeerpiboot remove
sudo rm /etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot
cd /home/pi
mkdir craftbeerpi.old
mv -v ~/craftbeerpi/* ~/craftbeerpi.old/
cd craftbeerpi3
sudo ./install.sh

I actually just wrote these instructions up this morning for a facebook post.

Code:
sudo service craftbeerpiboot stop
sudo update-rc.d -f craftbeerpiboot remove
sudo rm /etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot
cd /home/pi
mkdir craftbeerpi.old
mv -v ~/craftbeerpi/* ~/craftbeerpi.old/
cd craftbeerpi3
sudo ./install.sh

So hitting enter after each line will get me to where I need to be? Sorry to sound so stupid, just intimidated by the Pi. Don't know why, just am. I will attempted this in the morning. THANK YOU

I did figure it out. After watching the NEW 3.0 video i realized that the IP address was not correct. I needed to IP address of my local network AND the 5000. up and working now. waiting on the expansion board and then the rest of my hardware for my enclosure. Then I begin testing and calibrating.

Did a brew using CBP 3 a few weeks ago which went horrible. The PWM module kept crashing CBP ultimately causing the RPi to crap out altogether, forcing me to do an on-the-fly reinstall of Raspbian and CBP which added about 2 hrs to my brewing day. SWMBO was not pleased. I am kind of done using software based solutions for brewing temp control, will go back to my Auber pid.
This is the reason I went with pids when I built my setup. I considered some sort of RPI setup but didn't want to deal with software issues while brewing. I have experience with RPI on other projects but found it to always be unstable. Cheers

Need some help.

I have CBP3 running and watched all the videos on how to setup the hardware. All actors work in manual mode. However, when I build the brew steps, none of the heating steps work. The pump steps do work.

Here is a list of my actual brewery equipment:
  • Main burner is a propane gas burner controlled by an electric valve. Must be set for 100% power only.
  • 2 chugger pumps
  • A RIMS system using an electric heating element. Would like this to auto-tune. This also needs to be a dependent actor. Pump 1 must be running before heat.

Now my brewing steps:
  1. Heat strike water: use burner at 100% power to set temperature
  2. Transfer strike water to mash tun: pump 2 (this step works)
  3. Mashin: use dependent actor, RIMS
  4. Mashout: same as above with higher temp
  5. Heat sparge water: use burner at 100% power to set temperature (this should start 30 minutes into the mashin. Can I do that?)
  6. Transfer sparge water: use pump 2 (should be complete before mash out. Can we do that?)
  7. Boil: use burner at 100% power to set temperature
Any help I can get on building and using the auto brew steps would be appreciated.

I originality downloaded a beer.xml recipe file in beersmith loaded it into CBP3 for auto process.
Now auto steps are always there in CBP3 when it starts. I just find it easier to change the temp and time instead of loading another beer.xml file.
Unless I am sous viding a brisket for 36 hrs like last week ;-) Then its just set the temp!

Cheers

I have tried importing from Beersmith. After the file loads, I select the start button. Again, the pump steps will work. The heat steps, burner for boil or RIMS for mash do not. If you have to use the "car" symbol to engage the auto mode for each heating step, whats the point? Just as well stay with my manual mode using PIDS.

What I thought this program would do is automate the brew steps I built. Doesn't seem that this is really possible. Here is what I WANT to do:

1. fire gas burner (actor) to heat strike water. when set temp is hit,
2. run transfer pump 2 (actor),
3. pause for actual mash in
4. run RIMS heat as a dependent actor based on pump 1 (actor) providing re-circulation
5. pause for gravity sparge
6. fire gas burner (actor) for boil

Can the program do these steps? If so, can someone explain how to do this?

Thanks

You need to activate the car icons, then start the brew steps. The car icons enables automatic mode.

Thank you for this simple instruction that made it all begin to work. Very frustrating that there isn't a CBP for dummies guide. Cause I'm a dummy on this program.

More questions for the group now that I can get basic steps to work correctly.

1. After reaching target temp for the strike water using the boil step, nothing seems to trigger step 2; transfer. What am I missing?

2. During my 60 minute RIMS-mash step, I need to heat sparge water at 30 minutes using my boil step. And then transfer once target temp is hit.
How do I configure these steps to occur while stilling running the RIMS-mash process?

3. I noticed others have requested the pause step. I need this as well. Any thoughts on to incorporate this into the brew steps?

Thanks again for the help!

Hi everyone.

I need some help with some code for the HTTP sensor plugin within craftbeerpi3. I can get the HTTP actor to work no problem using wifi to control some relays with an ESP8266. This means I have nothing connected to the pi which is my purpose. The problem I have is trying to write some code for the HTTP sensor plugin. I have DS18B20 temp probes and want to push the reading from these to the HTTP sensor plugin so that the temperature is sent through wifi as well. This can either be on an ESP32 or ESP8266. Has anyone had success with this yet and if so please point me in the right direction? I am stuck! Thanks in advance.

The ESP need to push the data to the following endpoint of your CraftBeerPi server.

• key = sensor key - alpha numeric name without blanks
  • value = the new sensor value. Internally handled as string
http://<RaspberryPi-IP-Addresse>:5000/api/httpsensor/<key>/<value>

you set the key in the sensor configuration inside CBPi3

The ESP need to push the data to the following endpoint of your CraftBeerPi server.

• key = sensor key - alpha numeric name without blanks
  • value = the new sensor value. Internally handled as string
http://<RaspberryPi-IP-Addresse>:5000/api/httpsensor/<key>/<value>

you set the key in the sensor configuration inside CBPi3

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated. I kind of get this part and see what needs set in CBPI3. I know the key which is fine. Also the value would come from a variable that I would convert to a string? The problem is i am failing to write the basic code to 'push'

The git for the plugin mentions GET but i dont know if he means he is using GET to aquire the data from the sensor or if I should implement a GET. So then i think about PUT or something else but I am failing the skills for this http stuff as it is new. Basic programming commands are ok. I realise I am asking a lot here for someone to give me some sort of skeleton code I can work with.

All fixed. A nice guy on the craftbeerpi3 git posted a copy of his code for me. All working now. 2 relays and three thermometers all controlling the fermentation fridge through 2 cheap esp8622 chips. Nothing hardwired to the raspberry pi :)

The new version 2.1 which is coming soon wil support different hardware devices. This includes using GPIO or PiFace for directly driving the SSR's as well as some USB plugs. If you want to drive other hardware just write to the developper, is open for everything and does also support new hardware if you test it for him.
I think the raspberry has 3.3 V outputs, so SSR´s that usually require a minimum of 3V should work without problem. Do not use mechanical relays for PID control, as they will not last long.

Hello.
I'm planing to use Craftbeerpi3 on my raspberry pi zero w. I've installed it and configured. But after some time menus are desapeared, addons is not running and UI is freezing and seems like it crashes completely.
SD card change is not helping.
What i'am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Hello.
I'm planing to use Craftbeerpi3 on my raspberry pi zero w. I've installed it and configured. But after some time menus are desapeared, addons is not running and UI is freezing and seems like it crashes completely.
SD card change is not helping.
What i'am doing wrong?

I can add that it would be nice to have a step-by-step to test the operation and performance of the CBPi3 and the underlying Pi.

I have ssh'd in and looked at 'top' and seen high cpu, but that doesn't really say anything.. I have also had tablet browsers absolutely ruin the CBPI experience..

Thanks for reply. I found the same problem with the mobile browsers. And the second is wi-fi connection. It must be stable. So now it works much better. Hope my first brewing with CBPi soon.

http actuators respond to a http command like : http://actuator_ip/set?power=on

Sonoff basic only has 1 relay oputput, but you can install as many as you want. config them with a name ( mqtt topic ) and the plugin sends mqtt messages like "/fermenter1/POWER OFF" .
I orther to use mqtt you will need to install a broker . Mosquitto is the easy one.

And yes, flashing a Sonoff is not mutch diferent as flashing a STC1000+

I could use some CBPi MQTT assistance...
2 SonOff S31's programmed with Tasmota and connected to my WiFi SSID.
The SonOff's can be turned on and off via a browser going to the IPs.
SonOff MQTT config:(only host and topic changed from default)
Host(): 192.168.5.68 (my CBPi IP Address )
Port (1883): 1883
Client (DVES_7D222F): DVES_%06X
User (DVES_USER): DVES_USER
Password: ********
Topic = %topic% (sonoff): S31_1 (and S31_2)
Full Topic (%prefix%/%topic%/): %prefix%/%topic%/
paho-mqtt and mosquitto installed and running on the Pi that CBPI3 is on as per github..
MQTTPlugin installed on CBPI (with above prerequisites completed.)
CBPI configuration specifics:
Actor Modal:
Name: SonOff_S31_1
Type: MQTTActor
Topic: S31_1​
Fermenter Configuration:
Cooler: SonOff_S31_1
Logic: Hysteresis
Cooler Offset ON: 1​
Do I need to do something with mosquitto.conf???
Something else I am missing?

Latest posts

Back