CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good man, it's dead simple and really handy. Will miss it when cbpi integrates but hopefully Manuel will add encoder support for the same effect.

Yea, without % duty for boiling purposes you still need something other than CBP in my opinion. Boiling a la PID style results in either too hard of a boil or insufficient. Tough to get right. While I'm not a programmer by ANY stretch of the imagination, I gotta believe duty % cycle is very easy compared to the already good stuff in CBP! It's not any old piece of software that I totally build a new panel around!

PWM was a feature I was also wishing for, and lacking the excuse of not being a programmer, I took a stab at adding it. I ended up creating a new "automatic" called PWM that lets you specify a period and duty cycle. It has the option to allow the target temperature to be interpreted as duty cycle. This is a bit crude but its less of a hassle that going back into the kettle configuration to tweak duty cycle. I think in an ideal world there would be a separate button to switch between PID control (which I use for heating strike water) and PWM rather than having to reconfigure the kettle but this is a start...

This doesn't use the GPIO's built in PWM functionality as that seams overkill at the required frequencies (I've used a 10s period with another controller in the past), but that could be a future improvement if someone needed higher frequencies.

I'm not sure the best way to share the changes (which are pretty straight forward), so here are a couple of options:

A patch

My changes on github

I submitted a pull request as well so it may get incorporated in the main repository at some point. I mostly created this for my own use, but I hope other can make use of it as well.

PWM was a feature I was also wishing for, and lacking the excuse of not being a programmer, I took a stab at adding it. I ended up creating a new "automatic" called PWM that lets you specify a period and duty cycle. It has the option to allow the target temperature to be interpreted as duty cycle. This is a bit crude but its less of a hassle that going back into the kettle configuration to tweak duty cycle. I think in an ideal world there would be a separate button to switch between PID control (which I use for heating strike water) and PWM rather than having to reconfigure the kettle but this is a start...

This doesn't use the GPIO's built in PWM functionality as that seams overkill at the required frequencies (I've used a 10s period with another controller in the past), but that could be a future improvement if someone needed higher frequencies.

I'm not sure the best way to share the changes (which are pretty straight forward), so here are a couple of options:

A patch

My changes on github

I submitted a pull request as well so it may get incorporated in the main repository at some point. I mostly created this for my own use, but I hope other can make use of it as well.

Care to explain a bit more? Where do i need to hook the heater up to?

Care to explain a bit more? Where do i need to hook the heater up to?

You would hook the heater up to a GIO through an SSR, the same as if you were going to use PID control. Then under Kettle Configuration you can select PWM for Control Logic.

A patch

My changes on github

Thanks! I was just reading this on the GitHub site. I can't wait to try it out. I may try it with a water boil tonight.

So, it will go to a set temp and then kick into the duty cycle? Or will it start with the cycle whenever the kettle is active in automatic mode? Since I don't have it loaded up yet, I can't see the values.

Last edited:
Alright, I've sent out a few DM's etc. I'm sorry this took so long to get going (hectic over here in the household etc.) I have created a simple form that allows me to collect all the information from people interested in ordering the board (except PayPal, i'll send this requests as boards are finished etc.) If you have corresponded with me and I have sent you a confirmation just do me a favor and sign up again in the link, I have already recorded your place in line i'm just trying to find a better way to do this so i don't have to comb through 20 pages of replies and miss someone. Thanks again for your help and cooperation!

Also, I will update here on the message board whenever there is a status change on boards

/S

Attached is the link.

So this means, anybody who is interested in a board that has not received one and has messaged me or shown interest, please go to that link.

https://www.cognitoforms.com/HenaoTechnologiesLLC/CBPiOrderForm

Thanks! I was just reading this on the GitHub site. I can't wait to try it out. I may try it with a water boil tonight.

So, it will go to a set temp and then kick into the duty cycle? Or will it start with the cycle whenever the kettle is active in automatic mode? Since I don't have it loaded up yet, I can't see the values.

This is a purely manual function, when you turn on automatic mode it will output a pwm wave at the specified duty cycle and period. You can use the temperature setpoint to set the duty cycle, but that's really a hack, it doesn't control to temperature, if you set the setpoint to 50, you get 50% dutycycle, if you set it to 75 you get 75%, etc.

I use the PID control logic if I want a specific temperature (strike water for example) then switch to this when I want to set a fixed output power for the boil.

I did a pull request for GPIO on non-RPi devices :) Works for my udoo controller... Now I just have to get the current monitor/arduino coded up

There are options on the configuration page for passwords and usernames, but does anyone know how to actually force a login to the software before using it? I can always get right in.

I just set up a stand-alone fermentation controller that runs CPBi and I want to expose it to the Internet so that I can check it when I am out of town, but I am hesitant to do so with no protection at all.

This morning, I put up a pull request for a modified version of schrod's PWM automation module. This one allows you to set a starting heater efficiency, then at a designated number of degrees below your target to shift to another frequency. I have tested it on the hardware, but have not actually used it to do a boil yet. I plan on doing this this weekend.

If anyone has any questions about how it works, please let me know.

Thank you for all the help schrod!!

Re: remote login, i use weaved, now known as remot3.it. It's pretty great and I didn't need to do anything else. Also, free. Check it out

How do I please I install basic PWM to raspberry. I'm sorry raspberry newbie ! or install me in the transition from version 2.1 to 2.2? Thank you very much for your answer and greetings from Czech Republic!

How do I please I install basic PWM to raspberry. I'm sorry raspberry newbie ! or install me in the transition from version 2.1 to 2.2? Thank you very much for your answer and greetings from Czech Republic!

Right now, PWM is not in the master branch, so you can look on the pull requests and manually make the sited changes to the files or you can use schrod's patch (though I am not sure how it works) for his version.

Is anyone else using fermentation control. I just set up a stand-alone fermentation controller last night and it is working great except for the temp graph. I just get a blank page when I try to load it.

As far as I know there are no minimum time it needs to run before the graph is displayed (or at least there doesn't appear to be for brewing).

I just wanted to see if anyone else was seeing this before I reported it as an issue on GitHub. I do see that the graph shows in the example documentation from LMB.

What I have tried:
  • Rebooting the Pi
  • Removing and re-adding the thermometer to the fermenter
  • Deleting and re-creating the thermometer
  • Seting up fake kettle and checking brewing charts (works fine)

Raspbian and CBPi should both be up to date. I installed the latest version of both last night.

Thanks!

NoGraph.JPG

Last edited:
Have you tried clearing your temperature log data? I remember seeing someone had a similar problem, and clearing their temperature log seemed to have worked?

Have you tried clearing your temperature log data? I remember seeing someone had a similar problem, and clearing their temperature log seemed to have worked?

I can take a look. Any idea where there are at? Can they be cleared from the GUI, or does it have to be cleared out from the back-end (giggity)?

Is anyone else using fermentation control. I just set up a stand-alone fermentation controller last night and it is working great except for the temp graph. I just get a blank page when I try to load it.

As far as I know there are no minimum time it needs to run before the graph is displayed (or at least there doesn't appear to be for brewing).

I just wanted to see if anyone else was seeing this before I reported it as an issue on GitHub. I do see that the graph shows in the example documentation from LMB.

What I have tried:
  • Rebooting the Pi
  • Removing and re-adding the thermometer to the fermenter
  • Deleting and re-creating the thermometer
  • Seting up fake kettle and checking brewing charts (works fine)

Raspbian and CBPi should both be up to date. I installed the latest version of both last night.

Thanks!

I had this issue also.

The solution is to delete the .log of the graph in question ie: F1***.log.

You can find it in the /CraftBeerPi/log/ directory.

🍺🍻

I had this issue also.

The solution is to delete the .log of the graph in question ie: F1***.log.

You can find it in the /CraftBeerPi/log/ directory.

����

Cool, I will try it. Thanks!

EDIT: That worked, THANKS!

Unfortunately, I had made my unit entirely headless (and didn't enable SSH because it as 4:30 AM and the password prompt was pissing me off). Fortunately, I hooked key components in with Velcro rather than something more permanent, so I got the file deleted and SSH enabled. Hooray for science.

I just read the post of CraftBeerPi supporting Chip Computer:

Is there any advantage of using Chip Pocket instead the Pi?

$9 vs $35 computer. I'm considering switching out the one for my dedicated fermenter control as my Pi 3a seems like overkill.

$9 vs $35 computer. I'm considering switching out the one for my dedicated fermenter control as my Pi 3a seems like overkill.

My fuscus software runs on a Pi Zero. $5.

Does CBPi run on the Zero (sorry, I didn't search the thread)?

My fuscus software runs on a Pi Zero. $5.

Does CBPi run on the Zero (sorry, I didn't search the thread)?

I don't know what a "fuscus" is, though it sounds like you may need some penicillin. Do you mean rather that you are running a brew or fermenter control rig on a Pi Zero? If so, I may need to replace mine. I have a RPi 2b and 3b in my rigs and pages still load slowly/buttons react slowly at times.

Back