Craft brewery wants less choices for consumers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Usually you hear about independent craft breweries calling for more competition,
but in Utah, one brewery wants to maintain the asinine 3.2 ABV limit in beer because they don't want competition. The new limit for beer sold in grocery stores in 4.8 ABV, which is also ridiculous. Why do citizens willingly accept a government that tells them what beer they can and can't buy?
Update, sorry I forgot this:
https://fox13now.com/2019/02/27/loc...ers-in-stores-could-put-them-out-of-business/

Last edited:
By the way, the limit is 3.2 % ABW(eight), which amounts to 4 % ABV(olume). Utah breweries can indeed brew and sell higher gravity beers. If you buy beer at a grocery store or "beer only" bar/restaurant, then it is restricted to 3.2 % ABW. If you are at a place with a liquor license, you can get higher gravity beer in cans and bottles (draft is still 3.2 % ABW). You can also get it at state package stores. It is ridiculous, and is a hold over from the old Mormon ways. It'll change soon.

While I was out in SLC recently, I actually stuck to the 3.2 beer, because I wanted to see how creative they get. Despite people's initial fears, that those beers are water down imitations, I found quite a few that were really flavorful and some that were actually... malty. I could also have three beers instead of two at a business dinner. So, as a visitor, it wasn't all bad.

I'd be curious to hear which brewery wants that limit to remain... you don't link to any story?

I'd be curious to hear which brewery wants that limit to remain... you don't link to any story?

Sorry, forgot to link the news story, its updated, above.

I'm not opposed to low alcohol beer, I brew and drink quite a bit of that myself.
I'll also add that the brewery mentioned in the news story has beers that have been well received, although we can't get them in my area.

So apparently "higher point" (that's the local term) beers can be purchased at the state run liquor stores. I suppose that's just another reason the politicians want to limit what you can buy in a grocery store, basically drive more business to the state store and put more money in the hands of the politicians.
We have a similar arrangement here in PA, but the state stores don't sell beer.

Last edited:
We traveled across southern Utah last fall, visiting the nat'l parks. While breweries were sparse, we did find some good local offerings in restaurants. On the one hand, I agree that the state-imposed alc. limits are anachronistic. I just have a problem with religion-driven governmental intrusion into personal choice (don't get me started). But given the current limitations, I found that breweries were very creative in making good beers. Thus, lots of blonde ales, Kolsch, stouts, etc. Making the best of the situation.

BTW, if you travel the area, cross the border to Colorado City, AZ (yeah, it was the home to the Warren Jeffs FLDS compound). There is a nice microbrewery in town, called Edge Of The World. No shiat. The beers were quite good, and no 3.2% ABW limit (Yay Arizona!). If you travel between Zion and Grand Canyon you'll drive right by it. We thought it worth patronizing just on principle alone.

They way I read the article, the brewery doesn't actually favor the 3.2 ABW limit. What they favor is raising the ABW limit across the board, rather than the narrow "grocery store only" raise that is being proposed.

Sorry, forgot to link the news story, its updated, above...

...We have a similar arrangement here in PA, but the state stores don't sell beer.

I imagine that by your comment about the similar arrangement in PA, you mean that only state stores can sell liquor. Because we don't have any limits on alcohol content in beer. You can "finally" buy beer and wine (192 oz limit) in groceries that also operate a "restaurant" [a 400 sq. ft. area that serves prepared food and seats 30]. Acme has been putting them into many of their stores in Philly, at least. Wegman's in the 'burbs does this as well. How are the options in Central PA?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back