Craft Beer Research

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palabiyik

Reaction score
Dear Friends:

I would like to invite you to participate an online survey developed by the Texas Tech University Hospitality and Retail Management Department doctorate student. The purpose of the survey is to assess your attitudes and opinions as Craft Beer (made in a traditional way by a small and independent brewery) consumers. The approximate time to complete the survey is not expected to exceed 15 minutes.

The survey is not designed to sell you anything or solicit money from you in any way. You will not be contacted on a later date for any sales or solicitation. Participation is voluntary. You may withdraw at any time or skip any questions you do not wish to answer.

All responses are anonymous. No personal data will be asked and the information obtained will be recorded in such a manner that you cannot be identified. The data will be used solely for statistical analysis and no other purpose, and will be available only to the research group working on this project.

If you have any questions or if you would like to know the results of the research, please contact with doctoral student John Palabiyik at (817) 360-4936 or email at [email protected]. This study has been approved by the Human Research Protection Program at Texas Tech University (tel. 806. 742-2064). If you have any questions about the study or your rights as a participant, please mail your inquiries to Human Research Protection Program, Office of the Vice President for Research, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas 79409

Survey Link: https://login.qualtrics.com/jfe3/preview/SV_bI1ik7B2ErPmtMN

John :mug:

Qualtrics is a pretty standard online survey platform - I'd say its less likely to be malicious or infected than something like Survey Monkey.

I took the survey. It looks like one or two of the questions are incomplete, just a heads up.

What a weird survey. There was a post about beer snobbery yesterday and it seems this survey is geared towards that small circle of beer drinkers who base their personality, and establish their image, off of beer. I can't imagine answering anything but "strongly disagree" to any of those kind of questions. I brew and drink beer because it's fun for me. It does not define me because I, luckily, have other interests and a life outside of brewing and drinking. :rockin:

Took it. Left a lot of strongly diagree on the identity and personality things...

holy hell....I feel like I shouldn't drink beer just because I like it, I never realized I needed to drink certain beers to realize my self-image and make sure people notice me. WTF?

It would appear there's a segment of the population that shapes their personality around their interests, rather than the other way around.

It is, IMO, a weird survey. I do survey research and statistics, and I can see what they're trying to find out, but I'm not sure the questions were fully vetted. Be interesting to do a factor analysis on the Likert items, see what dimensions popped up.

BTW, I would use this as an example of how not to do a survey online. The inability of the package to put category labels above the radio buttons is a flaw, and if people didn't read the label above well, they might--as I did--think a 1 was strongly agree, and a 5 strongly disagree. That's why you put those labels above the numbers, not to the left above the questions.

And if a lot of people reversed the meanings, that would of course mean the results were suspect.

Thank you for your time and valuable comments about survey. Unfortunately, it is not as fun as a craft beer but it will help us to analysis relation between craft beer and consumer motivation theories. It will also create a valuable database for future studies.

I'll follow on and agree on the weird survey comments. Not sure what they are going after, but it seems like the low self-esteem hipster doofus crowd. "I drink beer so someone will find me unique and interesting".

Thinking about it more, I don´t seem to recall it mentioning the main reason I buy new craft beer: Cause I have not had it before. I am seeking new experiences and just want to try new things. Some I will buy multiple times, but when I don´t have a specific mood in mind something new takes priority over proven around 80% of the time for me.
Also will buy none craft I have not had before. Maybe I will find a good drinker for when you just want to have a drink and not think about it, or maybe I just regain perspective on how good my usual stuff is.

That for me is pretty big.

Thank you for your time and valuable comments about survey. Unfortunately, it is not as fun as a craft beer but it will help us to analysis relation between craft beer and consumer motivation theories. It will also create a valuable database for future studies.

It will do that IF the data is not suspect. When the labeling is not clear, as it is in this case, there's no way to know what the data means.

If, for example, I reversed the meaning, it would indicate that I think choosing craft beers is very important to my self-image, something that is absolutely untrue.

And as to whether the database is valuable, that is wholly a function of the quality of the data. Garbage in, garbage out.

I see this happen a lot--people see "data," treat it as if it is a message from God delivered on stone tablets, use it to create policy, then the policy doesn't work and they don't know why. Now, this isn't data likely to impact public policy (I sure hope not!), but it's the same whether you're building public policy on it, or trying to use it to build a dissertation.

Latest posts

Back