Craft Beer IN Mexico

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauer_62

Reaction score
My wife of 8 years and I have finally broke down and decided to take a honeymoon. We made the decision to buy a house(which we still live in) in stead of wasting the money on a trip. So 8 years have gone by with the addition of 2 kids and through hard work and dedication have found the money to take the trip. Now the trip is planed for Riviera Maya at an all inclusive. i asked my wife to email the hotel concierge service of what beer they offer. To my surprise they only offer macro beer. I am wondering if anyone here on HBT has traveled to the area and know of a brewery/bar in the area worth suggesting to my wife we HAVE To check out.

I don't recall seeing anything other than your typical Mexican beers or American/InBev(now) beers. We just switched between beer and liquor each day. We stayed at Valentin Imperial Maya, they had Bohemia and Dos Equis.

My wife of 8 years and I have finally broke down and decided to take a honeymoon. We made the decision to buy a house(which we still live in) in stead of wasting the money on a trip. So 8 years have gone by with the addition of 2 kids and through hard work and dedication have found the money to take the trip. Now the trip is planed for Riviera Maya at an all inclusive. i asked my wife to email the hotel concierge service of what beer they offer. To my surprise they only offer macro beer. I am wondering if anyone here on HBT has traveled to the area and know of a brewery/bar in the area worth suggesting to my wife we HAVE To check out.

Hey guy, I was in Riviera Maya in September for a week. Mind if I ask which resort? We were at the Hotel Catalonia. We didn't really stray too far from our resort.. but we rented bikes and went down to a few liquor stores and did a few excursions (snorkeling, zip lining, rappelling). The only beer the resort had was slightly warmer corona. The liquor stores in the area had a pretty good selection of stuff(not really craft, but its better than skunky corona). I didn't drink craft for the whole week though except for on the plane there and the airport Margaritaville in Houston. We had so much fun though.

There is a small beer bar in Playa del Carmen, club de la cerveca, which has good beer but most of it is imported. Most of the micro breweries that I've heard of are on the other coast in Sinaloa, specifically in Los Mochis.

Dos equis amber and negra modelo are available at most good resorts which are better than the other options, IMO.

Good luck and have fun.

I don't recall seeing anything other than your typical Mexican beers or American/InBev(now) beers. We just switched between beer and liquor each day. We stayed at Valentin Imperial Maya, they had Bohemia and Dos Equis.

Staying at the same place. we leave in two weeks

Wonder if that macro beer includes the recently acquired Sculpin by Constellation brands.

I just got back from that area. For the most part I didn't have much luck finding microbrews, but I wasn't looking all that hard. I did have a good IPA from a local brewery at a bar in Puerto Morelos (the bar was on the beach at the north end of the main town square). It was a bit maltier than most IPAs I've had here. There was also a Pale Ale they had from the same brewery, but unfortunately I can't recall the name. Other than that I found most places carry Leon, which is a dark beer similar to Negro Modelo and was pretty good (most of the places I was at only had Dos Equis Lager and Modelo Especial) so Leon was the best bet for something with a little more color.

Enjoy your trip!

I stayed at Fairmont Mayakoba a year ago and they had Calavera - a craft brewery from Mexico City, if I remember right. The stuff they had was Belgian inspired, which was interesting...being in Mexico.

Mexico doesn't have the craft scene...like, at all, compared to the States.

Other than the aforementioned Club del la Cervesa, there are also a couple Gonzalez beer bars in Playa: one in the new mall (5th Ave between Calle 14 and 16) and another in the new Grand Hyatt (1st Ave between Calle 26 and 28). Decent selection at both. But, overall, the area is pretty grim when it comes to craft beer.

I stayed at Fairmont Mayakoba a year ago and they had Calavera - a craft brewery from Mexico City, if I remember right. The stuff they had was Belgian inspired, which was interesting...being in Mexico.

Mexico doesn't have the craft scene...like, at all, compared to the States.

Stayed at the same place and the Belgian inspired ones were OK. They had a RIS which was tasty. The Dubbel and Trippel were very gunk filled. Bottle conditioned for sure but way to much gunk for my tastes.

Also the had an IPA (Mundo Maya I think is the brewery). Not much hop aroma. A chap I got talking to at the bar let me try some of his. I only bought the one after that. It was a bit meh.

Other than the aforementioned Club del la Cervesa, there are also a couple Gonzalez beer bars in Playa: one in the new mall (5th Ave between Calle 14 and 16) and another in the new Grand Hyatt (1st Ave between Calle 26 and 28). Decent selection at both. But, overall, the area is pretty grim when it comes to craft beer.

Where was that photo taken? I'm going to Playa next month.

My wife and I have spent a week in Cozumel the latter part of January for the last two years. Sol is a local favorite. I like Bohemia Obscura (Bohemia Dark), or Negro Modelo.

Because of the German influence in Mexico, beers will tend towards German/Belgian/Swiss styles.

:):) Why are you staying at an all inclusive!!! Get out on the economy!

Someone's opinion on best and worst Mexican beers.

This is usual menu for us in Mex. My fiance and I were in Playa, Puerto Morelos & Isla Mujeres a few months a ago. The lack of good beer is a bummer but Cuban rum is available everywhere. I agree about AIs. Stayed in one in 2007, NEVER again...

Thanks for the info. It was worth finding, if only for 1 beer. The rest of my group was more interested in shopping than drinking. It was a good change from the resort beer: Dos Equis, Modelo, Sol and Tecate. Found out later at the swing bar if you get a plastic cup you can walk down the street with it.

Anyone looking for it it's on the second floor of the mall right above where you enter from 5th Ave. Top of the escalator. About 70 Pecos per beer.

Latest posts

Back