crabapple wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyherrick

Reaction score
My father in law wants to make crabapple wine. He has a basic kit and has never made wine before. I make beer and know little about wine. If anyone could help me out with amounts and ingredients I would be grateful.

I wasnt aware that wine takes a long time to ferment, and it seems like a lot of racking. Is there a way that we could just primary ferment it and then secondary, and then to the bottle?

I wasnt aware that wine takes a long time to ferment, and it seems like a lot of racking. Is there a way that we could just primary ferment it and then secondary, and then to the bottle?

Well, you could. You'll just have more crud in the bottles and a not clear wine and a risk of off-flavors from letting it sit on the lees. Fruit wines, especially fruit wines loaded with pectin like apples, drop a ton of lees. It takes a while to get it clear. It also takes a while to produce 12-14% ABV, so the yeast stays in suspension for a while.

Back