CPVC manifold floats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I built a CPVC manifold last year for all grain batches. Out of the 40ish batches I've done since then, the thing works fantastically 80% of the time. But those other times it seems to get air in it and will float up to the top of the mash. Those are sad brew days.

Any suggestions? I guess I could go make a copper one, but if I can get this thing to work, it would save a decent amount of cash and time.

I had thought about cutting some slots into the top of the manifold, but then was thinking I might lose siphon pressure and actually get a lot less wort that way.

You might try having the valve open a little when putting strike water in the MLT. That way it would allow the manifold to flood and purge most of the air. Just close the valve when you see water start to escape so that you dont lose very much.

You might try having the valve open a little when putting strike water in the MLT. That way it would allow the manifold to flood and purge most of the air. Just close the valve when you see water start to escape so that you dont lose very much.

Thanks for the reply. I've actually been doing that lately, its helped a lot, but I still get the floating sometimes. I might need to let a little more water out next time, I'll give it another shot.

It goes without saying that it can only float if holding air. Check amount of hole/slots. As last resort put some strike water in and open drain valve to flood the tubes. Post a picture if you get a chance.
This is mine and works well! image.jpg
Holes are drilled in a staggered pattern facing inside of tun.

it goes without saying that it can only float if holding air. Check amount of hole/slots. As last resort put some strike water in and open drain valve to flood the tubes. Post a picture if you get a chance.
This is mine and works well!View attachment 280307
holes are drilled in a staggered pattern facing inside of tun.

image.jpg
This picture shows the hole pattern.

Back