Couple ?'s On a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat in WV

Reaction score
I have an extract stout (William's Stout) in my secondary; It was in primary for a week, just finished first week in secondary.

When I racked it to secondary the gravity was a bit higher than sheet says it should be, yet the bubbling was few and far between. 1.025, sheet says should be 1.121. The gravity is still right at 1.025. Should I pitch some more yeast in there? Or just leave it.

Also, it has a rainbowish oil slick looking spots floating on top. Not covering the hole thing, just kinda floating on the surface of the beer. What the hell is that?

Thanks!

I wouldn't waste the extra yeast on it. I just had the same thing happen with my stout and I re-pitched with absolutely no extra activity. I hope I didn't eff up the taste or anything cause it was delicious before the re-pitching! Just accept the fact that you may have a stout with a little less alcohol in it, besides if you made it now to drink for St. Patricks day you know you're gonna need some Bushmills with it.

Well that gravity seems high, make sure you are reading the sample at the hydrometer calibration temperature (60 or 68 depending on the manufacturer) and that you are applying the correction if you are not. If you read it at a colder temperature that means the gravity is actually lower, and if you read it at a higher temperature it is actually higher.

Your sheet says 1.012 and you are at 1.025? I would give it another week in the secondary and at then take another reading. It will not hurt it.

As for the oil slick, you may have gotten a drop of oil somehow on the beer. A small amount shouldn't matter, but a lot could cause taste problems is my guess. I would try to leave that layer behind when you rack off for bottling.

One other thing what was your OG and what yeast did you use, what method of aeration and what fermentation temperature if you know them, these will be helpful.

Having made that same kit myself, I'd say that the slick is not normal--probably not harmful, but I wouldn't drink it. Try to get the rest of the beer out and leave the slick behind, it'll probably be fine. For the record, I think you meant the FG should be 1.021, not 1.121, so you're somewhat close. Make sure you check your hydrometer calibration temp, like zoebisch said. Other than that, let it sit. It took 15 days in primary before mine got to 1.021.

Yes, it is 1.025, SG was 1.054, sheet says 1.021.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Slick could be the result of whatever you used to clean your secondary. If you used regualr soap you may not have rinsed adequately. THe upside is if there is not too much on the top you shouldn't get taste issues and there isn't anything that can hurt you. Rinse stuff better before your next batch.

Back