Couple questions I haven't run across the answers to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So 2 weeks ago I scored a great condition fridge on craigslist for $75. 18Cu. ft Amana model with freezer on top. Then I ordered a bunch of gear from keg connection (who hooked it UP by the way, I think I must have righted this guy in a past deal sometime since he sent me upgraded stuff from what I ordered :D ) and I today started getting the kegerator together.

I am wondering, since I haven't seen this discussed here, that you need about 5' of 3/16" ID hose for dispensing beer without foamy results. What if you were to use a longer length of hose? Are thare any drawbacks to this? Or is it just that ~5' of hose is the minimum needed for the intended results?

Also, I've seen the kegerator thread and noticed that normally most people stand the kegs upright. Doing so, I could fit 6 Corny kegs in my fridge. What if I were to stack them like wood? Wouldn't that aide in CO2 uptake, due to more exposed surface area, and clearing of the beer?

Longer hose will be no problem and dont lay the kegs down, with the diptube where it is you would only dispense half a keg of beer before it would flow anymore

The only draw back with a longer hose is that you will have a slower pour. Yeah don't lay the kegs down. It's a question I have seen before but I don't remember ever seeing someone that made it work well.

Not sure why but no way I could get away with only 5' of beer line. I need more like 12' of beer line (yes, I'm 100% sure it's 3/16" ID line). My pressure is usually 13-14 psi (verified with several gages).

I think 11 to 13 feet is pretty standard for 3/16 ID beer line for pressures ranging from 12 to 15 psi. 5 feet will result is too much head on most beers. 5' may be suitable for cider though.

I use 10 feet of 3/16" beverage lines for all of my taps and have never run into any foaming issues...

I use 5' of 3/16th line and get great pours at 39°-42°. The calculators told me to use 3', but I went with 5 to be safe. 11-12psi is my pressure for carbing and serving. Shoot me a PM iroc and I'll email you the spreadsheet I use. There is a lot of different things to take into account for a properly balanced system. Sending you a spreadsheet is the least I can do for everything you've um...done...for the forum :mugs:

I use 5' of 3/16th line and get great pours at 39°-42°. The calculators told me to use 3', but I went with 5 to be safe. 11-12psi is my pressure for carbing and serving. Shoot me a PM iroc and I'll email you the spreadsheet I use. There is a lot of different things to take into account for a properly balanced system. Sending you a spreadsheet is the least I can do for everything you've um...done...for the forum :mugs:

;)

PM'ing you :mug:

Latest posts

Back