Couple questions about my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanZ

Reaction score
I wasn't sure how the airlock worked and I just stuck it on there like the pictures showed. Anyhow, I didn't figure out that I had to put water in it until 5 hours after I put it into the primary fermenter. Do you guys think I will have any contamination issues?

Also how important is the secondary container? I just want to take the easiest route possible on my first batch...from the reading I've done I can still make a good beer if I skip that step?

I'm just going to leave it in the primary until it reaches the correct gravity....I just want to verify that is ok. I spent all day doing this and meticulously sanatized everything, I really don't want to mess anything up.

No worries about the water in the airlock. The way they are designed nothing can fall through them into the beer. As for secondary, you can safely skip that. I rarely do one anymore unless I need extended aging or I'm going to dry hop.

Just do 3 weeks in your primary (assuming fermentation completes) and then go right to the bottle.

Congrats on the first batch! :mug:

Should be fine. Not much risk of contamination from that, it's pretty hard for nasties to make their way up into that airlock and down into the fermentor.

The secondary is not necessary if you want to skip it but the beer still needs to be aged one way or another. You can let it age longer in the primary or in bottles, or both. It'll be green until probably at least 4 weeks out.

what kind of beer is it? for some beers, a secondary is really advantageous - but I hear you on the subject of the first batch - you want some output soon as possible! for most beers, just wait until FG is reached (and gravity is stable), give it a day or so more, then bottle (or keg). most beers taste better left for a while, but come on, it's your first batch...

thanks for the replies fellas

a couple more quick questions if you guys don't mind

1). adding the priming sugar

just drop it in the fermenter and stir? from what I understand you should be very careful to not disturbed the beer so you don't oxidize it....

I'm using the 6 gallon plastic food containers

anytips on how to add it would be great, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have the lid open for two long

2). When I take the gravity reading, I have a spigot on my primary fermenter. You guys see anything wrong with just getting some from the spigot to take the reading? I plan to just discard the sample. I see most people are opening the lid and scooping some out to take it.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference wether I get the sample from the top or bottom of the batch

It's about 2 inches from the bottom, so I don't think it will suck in any sediment

The best option for priming sugar is to boil it with a couple cups of water, cool it and pour into your empty bottling bucket, then siphon your beer into the bottling bucket. This should give a nice even distribution with no significant splashing. If you're bottling straight from the primary, you can very gently stir the sugar water into the beer.

I'd take readings from the spigot before dipping anything into the beer. And always, ALWAYS drink your samples! :D

Trencher said:
I'd take readings from the spigot before dipping anything into the beer. And always, ALWAYS drink your samples! :D

BUT DON'T PANIC if your beer doesn't taste like beer yet..or tastes "funky" or "nasty" or any other descriptor...there's nothing wrong with your beer that a minimum 3 weeks in the bottle won't fix...It's just "green" still....

cd2448 said:
most beers taste better left for a while, but come on, it's your first batch...
Even still...STASH a 6'er for a few months.

and You won't find a lot of people here that will tell you that a secondary is absolutely necessary. It's nice for a few styles, advantageous occasionally, but not very often necessary.

BryanZ said:
thanks for the replies fellas

a couple more quick questions if you guys don't mind

1). adding the priming sugar

just drop it in the fermenter and stir? from what I understand you should be very careful to not disturbed the beer so you don't oxidize it....

I'm using the 6 gallon plastic food containers

anytips on how to add it would be great, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have the lid open for two long

Give the beer plenty of time to finish fermenting and it gets a layer of CO2 over the top, makes it hard to oxidize unless you shake it roughly - or do what i did and siphon it really badly. try and syphon as quietly as possible with the minimum of splashing - get an auto siphon and an extra racking cane so you can make sure that the siphon empties into the priming liquid.

BryanZ said:
2). When I take the gravity reading, I have a spigot on my primary fermenter. You guys see anything wrong with just getting some from the spigot to take the reading? I plan to just discard the sample. I see most people are opening the lid and scooping some out to take it.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference wether I get the sample from the top or bottom of the batch

It's about 2 inches from the bottom, so I don't think it will suck in any sediment

that's how i take samples. i'm sure there is some variation between where you take the sample but that's how i've always done it.

Back