Counterflow Chilling and Output Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmatejka

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to live in an area where my well water comes out 55-60 almost year round. That being said, my new Counterflow chiller gets my wort down to 60-64 degrees. Is that too cool for my yeast to get working? Do I need to run my CFC through a prechiller in warm water first or is 62 ok?

Thanks again,
Wes

You should check the temp requirements on your particular package of yeast. If your temp requirements are higher than what you get when your water is on full blast, then decrease the water flow rate until the exiting wort temp rises to an acceptable level.

In the wintertime for my area, my buddies and I have to have the water on just a trickle and the wort exiting full blast for us to get decent yeast pitching temperatures. In the summer, we have to have the water on full blast and the wort draining at about 3/4 full to get a decent exit temp.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Much appreciated. Just moving from Extract brews and there are a lot of changes around the brew station. So, lots to take in and learn.

Back