Counter pressure bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stehag

Reaction score
It was not my plan to show this yet, but having the chance to be the first to post in this thread, was not any thing I wanted to miss.

I have built a counterpressure bottle filler that is compact and works great.

This is the 4 or 5 version and now it is works the way I want.

Sorry for my English, Goggle translate is responsible for the bad translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldnt you be capping on foam or hitting the head space with a bit of co2 before capping?

Since I pressurizes the bottle with co2 before filling the beer, there is no oxygen in the bottle imo.
I've been told that I should fill the bottleneck with co2 before capping, but I have not had any probem with oxygenation of the beer yet.
As long as there is foam on top of the beer in the bottle neck, the CO2 from the beer is enough to push away the oxygen.

But I could be wrong, it's happened before :eek:

Sorry, but no, there is o2 in the head space when you move it and just let it sit there. You may not notice the oxidation but im willing to bet you are introducing o2 by not purging the head space. it might be more noticeable over time. i would at least use oxygen absorbing caps if you decide to not purge that head space.

I use a beer gun to bottle from keg and i purge the bottle, fill, then purge the head space and cap with an oxygen absorbing cap.

Sorry, but no, there is o2 in the head space when you move it and just let it sit there. You may not notice the oxidation but im willing to bet you are introducing o2 by not purging the head space. it might be more noticeable over time. i would at least use oxygen absorbing caps if you decide to not purge that head space.

I use a beer gun to bottle from keg and i purge the bottle, fill, then purge the head space and cap with an oxygen absorbing cap.

There will be o2 in the head space no matter what I do, but I am saved by using oxygen absorbing caps :) I use this caps just beause I am imprint what sort of beer there is in the bottle, not for the oxygen absorbing. The plastic is thicker in this sort of caps.
The beer rarely lasts more than 3-4 weeks anyway, so the oxygen isn´t a problem anyway.

There will be o2 in the head space no matter what I do, but I am saved by using oxygen absorbing caps :) I use this caps just beause I am imprint what sort of beer there is in the bottle, not for the oxygen absorbing. The plastic is thicker in this sort of caps.
The beer rarely lasts more than 3-4 weeks anyway, so the oxygen isn´t a problem anyway.

Well, if it works for you then that's all that matters. I do have to say, your home made device is pretty nice.

When I showed the filler at a forum here in Sweden, I was asked if I could think of to make some and sell. Building one is not difficult, but to build 10-15 pc I have to be a little more efficient. Unfortunately, almost all the pieces is special so it has taken some time.

img0897.jpg
img0898.jpg

This is the latest version.

When I showed the filler at a forum here in Sweden, I was asked if I could think of to make some and sell. Building one is not difficult, but to build 10-15 pc I have to be a little more efficient. Unfortunately, almost all the pieces is special so it has taken some time.

img0897.jpg
img0898.jpg

That looks cool...if you want, send one to canada for further testing please lol

I would buy that.

If you ever want to post the specifics, or better yet, sell them, Im interested!

img0897.jpg
img0898.jpg

I volunteer to test this for the U.S. market! Very nice unit! Next version could use a variable size adjustment to allow for 12oz, 22oz and 750ml bottles.

Glad you like my design.:mug:

I think I have succeeded unusually well with this one. It does not take much space on the bench, you have your hands free while filling bottles and you do not have to fight with the hoses that are normally in the way.

The possibility of filling different bottles already exists. I can fill bottles with height from 8 1/2 " to 10 1/2" by moving the locking pin that sits on top of the spring. If I would like to fill smaller bottles, then I just need to cut the filler tube a little bit and drill new holes for the locking pin. But larger bottles require a little more remodeling.

750ml bottles are not common here in Sweden, I almost only use 12oz (330ml) bottles. But they also vary in height, so the ability to adjust is needed.

There is a HB in my neighborhood that will test the filler these week, he has never seen it, so it will be very interesting to hear what he says about it when he tried it.

Really nice instrument you've built there.

How is the carbonation of the bottled beer?
It looks a bit low when filling.
What temperature and pressure is the beer in the keg?

It's a honey lager I fill in the bottle on the film. It is forced carbonated to 2.8 co2 level (I like fizzy beer) and the temperature of the beer is 35 ° F. That's why it looks like that the beer is not carbonated enough.

I normally fill with 13-14 psi of pressure. You can see both the temperature and the pressure in the keg in the beginning of the film. The termometer show 2°C and the pressure is 13psi.

If I fill it too fast, it will be just foam in the bottle. But if I let the pressure drop slowly in the bottle, there will be hardly any foam at all in the bottle neck.

I would buy that.

If you ever want to post the specifics, or better yet, sell them, Im interested!

I would love to sell one to USA. That would be somthing to brag about with my friends:)

As I wrote before, there is a Hb in my neighborhood that will test the filler for me this week. After hes done the test I will be making some to sell. I will send a pm to you when I know what it will cost.

I would love to sell one to USA. That would bee somthing to brag about with my friends:)

As I wrote before, there is a Hb in my neighborhood that will test the filler for me this week. After hes done the test I will be making some to sell. I will send a pm to you when I know what it will cost.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing from you!

Stehag, it would actually be cooler to say you sold TWO to the US! Feel free to pm me as well if you think you'd be able to make 2 more.

It would be cool!!
The test will be tomorrow :) Then I know if the cpbf is something to sell or not.

The test was successful :ban:

The brewer who tested had never used a cpbf before, so it was an experience even for him. One problem that arose was that he had sterilized the bottles in the oven, but do not let the bottles cool before we started filling. The beer had a temperature of 45-50 ° F and the bottles 120-140 ° F.
Not the best conditions!

Despite this, the beer foamed no more than usual when the bottle was filled, however, the foam came when we would put on the cap.
It probably destroys the beer if you fill with warm bottles. So this is not something I recommend.
Maximum height of the bottles that can be filled is now 10 3/4 "

The price in Sweden will be $ 335 including tax, export price without tax will be $ 285 excluding shipping.
But, the 10 cpbf that is produced are already sold. So now I have to manufacture some more.

I'm gonna pass.
Just cleaned 12 bottles for the first time in 20 plus years to fill up to take for taste testing.

Screw this bottling crap I'm buying more kegs.

Hi
Are there any home brewer in San Francisco that want to test my bottle filler?
I will be there on vacation the last two weeks of September and it will be fun to meet. I can take it with me, it does not take up that much space.

What do you say? Shall I take one with me when I come?

Hi
Are there any home brewer in San Francisco that want to test my bottle filler?
I will be there on vacation the last two weeks of September and it will be fun to meet. I can take it with me, it does not take up that much space.

What do you say? Shall I take one with me when I come?

Wish I was in the Bay Area... I have almost 15 gallons of sours to bottle!

Will rent a car when I'm in San Francisco, but Riverside is probably not within my reach. Too bad, it would have been nice to meet an American Brewer.

Will rent a car when I'm in San Francisco, but Riverside is probably not within my reach. Too bad, it would have been nice to meet an American Brewer.

It is a 7 hour drive from San Francisco to this area. Definitely visit Sante Adarius, Russian River and Rare Barrel while you are there!

Back