Counter flow chiller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I have a question. I am going to make a counterflow chiller. I have read that just any garden hose won't do. It needs to be rated for high temps. To me this seems unnecessary,it can't get hot enough for long enough to do any damage while cold water is running through it. Any thoughts ?

I have a question. I am going to make a counterflow chiller. I have read that just any garden hose won't do. It needs to be rated for high temps. To me this seems unnecessary,it can't get hot enough for long enough to do any damage while cold water is running through it. Any thoughts ?

I have been looking into this myself after a couple of demos and borrowing one for a test. From the ones that I have seen and used myself you are correct. The water in the outer coil gets warm but not hot. One I have seen demo'd was made with vinyl (there isn't much out there cheaper than vinyl) and even that is rated at 150–180º.

I suspect you would be fine with something with an even lower tolerance.

Just be sure to flow the coolant before flowing the boiling wort.

Sure, just don't recirculate through it during the boil to sanitize and you will be fine with low-temp hose. That said, I have an all copper CFC and I've measured the outside temp of the copper at nearly 200F when starting to chill, YMMV.

Good point, if you are going to recirculate...all bets are off. You should probably get high temp hose if you are planning that.

I used a good quality RUBBER garden hose. Never had any issues running boiling wort through it to sanitize. Without cooling water in the jacket, the inner line hits temps over 200°, I think the plastic hose might melt.

Latest posts

Back