Count Fair results are in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balue

Reaction score
So got my results back today and my stout scored a 44 and didn't place. Was hoping for a bit of feed back but pretty happy with the scores!

Aroma 12/12
Appearance 2/3
Flavor 18/20
Mouthfeel 4/5
Overall 8/10

Comments: no head retention

Tried uploading pic from phone but the HBT app kept crashing on attachments

Congrats! I had an IPA (14B) I entered, I knew the hop profile wasn't quite right and I was just looking for some feedback (make sure no off flavors, etc), but I got a 32. I was satisfied with that, but after seeing you got a 44 and didn't place, I don't know how I feel about that now! :D

Care to share the recipe by the way? I've been looking to brew a good dark beer lately....

Must of been a tough category to get 44/50 and not place. I got 36 on my Hef and took second

+1 on the recipe if you are willing

Toy4Rick

Wow, tough county. You're on the doorstep of a world class score and didn't place.

Methinks some judges liked giving out higih numbers.

I will post recipe when I get home tonight there was actually a mistake when I was getting grain for it and it worked out so this is the new recipe

Congrats! Always feels good to get some validation that you make good beer.

I've got eleven entries going to our state fair this August. :mug:

I recently got a 42 on a Pale Ale and didn't place either, but I was flying high for a while on that one! Kicking myself for not dryhopping it. hmph.

Awesome job on that... maaaaan 44, heh, you need to frame that scoresheet. Congrats!

What a poorly run event. [Rant redacted]

All of our beers scored extremely well, no medals though (1,850 entries and beers like mine scoring in the mid 40s? Yea, right, sure), although they did fail to judge one beer I brought that really was a medal-winner. Irritating. I have to say I thought a lot of our scores were artificially inflated- probably due to the mostly amateur judging. Not a comp I'll be entering again, whatever the "prestige" would be for medaling in such a huge comp.

Glad to hear my wife and I both medaled at the OC fair, though. That was great news after getting scores back from SD.

Were your guys' beers not judged by a BJCP certified judge? Mine was, what about you guys? By the way, do any of you know what the requirements to be a judge were?

I was under the impression that multiple judges would judge the beer (at least one BJCP certified I would hope) and then they would come to a consensus on it. Is that how it was run? Or was it one judge to one beer, too bad if they weren't BJCP certified?

Went through my state's fair website. No information in regards to a homebrewing competition. Complete crap for a state that has breweries such as AB, Boulevard, O'Fallon, and wineries as St. James, Stone Hill and Les Bourgeois Winery.

SO. I sent an email to the contact us and informed them of the rich history of Mo's breweries and Wineries, we'll see where it goes. It would probably be the clusterfvck you just described.

Latest posts

Back