Couldn't help it, checked FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
Only 10 days and I know I shouldn't have done it (2 more wks before I bottle.) But I was pretty sure the fermentation was done and I couldn't resist a reading. Stuck a sterilized tube through the airlock grommet & siphoned . . . 1.015 (target was 1.016 per beersmith) That made me happy 'cause it seemed like the ferment was over really fast (by 72 hr.)

I chilled the sample to 48 degrees and OMG! Love the hop/malt balance as is. Unfortunately I've read all the posts that say the hops will mellow. Too bad 'cause if it could finish & age with the balance it has now. . . This one has 2 more weeks in the pail and 3 in the bottle.

Brewing my second batch this weekend and thinking about how I'll tweak my recipe. So based on the above if I want to achieve the hop/malt balance I'm tasting immed after the ferment I should boost my hop schedule. Am I thinking correctly?

Hops contribute bitterness as well as aroma/flavor. When you say you like the "hop/malt balance," is it the bitterness, flavor/aroma, or both? The answer will affect not just how much more hops to add, but when to add it.

That's great that the beer tastes great now, but the flavors and characteristics of all the ingredients--not just the hops--will mature and meld. If I were you, rather than try to adjust it based on the 10-day taste, I'd wait a month or so after bottling, then decide how you want to adjust the taste, and therefore, recipe. How about another recipe for this weekend to keep you occupied?

JT Quote, "When you say you like the "hop/malt balance," is it the bitterness, flavor/aroma, or both?"

Like the IBU level, I like the hint of malt behind it, I like the flavor. Not so much the aroma but then I havn't dry hopped yet. Going after a drinkable IPA along the lines of an Admiral Perry or a White Hawk.

I hear ya on not trying to adjust based on a 10day sample. . .I understand the wisdom. Maybe I'll just keep brewing the same recipe until it starts coming out of the pipeline and then tweak. I swear, if the sample had been carbonated I'd be real happy with it as is!

Unfortunately I've read all the posts that say the hops will mellow. Too bad 'cause if it could finish & age with the balance it has now. . . This one has 2 more weeks in the pail and 3 in the bottle.

Relax, it not going to mellow that fast. It will still be around to enjoy after bottling.

LOL! yep, I hear that.

Guess I should just be content I got such a nice ferment. Because it went so fast I was doing all the newbie self-doubt. (did I not oxygenate enough? did I go to cold and stall it out?) I guess you guys have been watching it for years - newbie-itis!

Latest posts

Back