Could I have renewed fermentation this late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DontTreadOnMe

Reaction score
The following mead's are my FIRST attempt at brewing of any kind!

I had planned on bottling 3 different '1 gallon' mead's (Traditional, Cherry Vanilla Mel, and Blueberry Mel) and 1- 1 gal coffee wine today.
All of these were pitched in February and March.
Gravity has been stable since April (gravity readings 2 days ago confirmed stability with no change). and they have been bulk aging in 1gal carboys.

2 days ago I added K-meta and Potassium Sorbate
Yesterday I slightly back sweetened all and took a current gravity.

Today I noticed that the Traditional and the Blueberry have minimal airlock activity (approx. 2-3 per/hr) I know that this is not an accurate indication of a renewed fermentation but my concerns are as follows:

My understanding is that after adding the K-meta and Potassium Sorbate the Mead should be immediately bottled?????
But, it now seems that I need to take gravity readings for several days to determine if I may have renewed fermentation.

This new Mead maker needs help!
Thank you

If they've been aging since April there's very little chance of a renewed ferment after you stabilized them. Unless you have lees (yeast sediment) in the carboys and kicked that back up when you moved them, then it'd be possible. You always want to rack off the lees before doing that.

And a bubble in the airlock could just be outgassing from a change in temperature or even barometric pressure. And no, you don't have to bottle immediately.

Thanks Dave,

There were no noticeable lees.

But, the day before adding the K-meta I added Sparkloid and there was and is a "light fluffy" (proteins etc. ?) I did not think this was lees, but again, this is all new to me. In retrospect (and your reply) I know now that I should have racked off whatever it was!
Hopefully I have not ruined 8 mos of the knowledge I've gained on this site by being lazy at the end.

If this could be lees and with the possibility of renewed ferment, what will be the consequence of the K-meta and Sorbate?
And... should I rack off the fluff first then start checking gravity or verify gravity readings over the next few days?

Allow the sparkloid to do its thing now, then rack and yes check gravity a couple times over a week. I think you'll be fine. It's actually hard to screw up at this point.

It does appear that my SG is stable, and I will monitor for another few days to verify but,
I am concerned about how much free sulfites I might have used up (or might have become bound) by racking off the fluff, etc..

I don't have an SO2 testing kit, so I have no idea of the level of Free SO2.

I added 1 Campden tablet to each gallon as previously mentioned, on 11/08 , prior to racking off the fluff.

***No campden was added previous to this addition***

I would like to preserve and protect my investment, and some of these may be bottled-up for perhaps 2-3 years? So... any thoughts on adding, or not, another dose before bottling (+- recommended doseage) without compromising flavor

Thanks, Terry

It does appear that my SG is stable, and I will monitor for another few days to verify but,
I am concerned about how much free sulfites I might have used up (or might have become bound) by racking off the fluff, etc..

I don't have an SO2 testing kit, so I have no idea of the level of Free SO2.

I added 1 Campden tablet to each gallon as previously mentioned, on 11/08 , prior to racking off the fluff.

***No campden was added previous to this addition***

I would like to preserve and protect my investment, and some of these may be bottled-up for perhaps 2-3 years? So... any thoughts on adding, or not, another dose before bottling (+- recommended doseage) without compromising flavor

Thanks, Terry

You are fine if you added the sulfites on 11/8 and are bottling within the next month or so.

Back