Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't worry about water chemistry, the style itself encourages using what's on hand.

Anyone used something other than orange blossom honey for this recipe with good results?

How about this one? http://www.homebrewsupply.com/honey-1-pound.html

Im probably going to try to find some locally sourced OB honey

I would use whatever honey is easiest to get and is cheapest. You won't taste it and it's just there to dry out the beer. You could probably get away with sugar without noticing, but honey is more traditional so I didn't feel bad using it.

It's really a great beer. Not sure why it's so remarkable, as a saison is a simple recipe and one is pretty much like any other, but this one is my go to in the spring. Heck, it's my go to year round.

It's really a great beer. Not sure why it's so remarkable, as a saison is a simple recipe and one is pretty much like any other, but this one is my go to in the spring. Heck, it's my go to year round.

I have used this recipe as a base for a 3711, Omega Yeast Saisonstein and now a DuPont version, which is ready to be kegged. Next version, I think I am going to drop the honey and use the Omega, unless the DuPont turns out to be some awesome I have to use it again. I am looking for something a bit more sessionable.

Has anyone brewed this with a little rye in the grain bill? I've done this brew twice before (because I love it so much) but I thought I would play with this next batch a bit. I plan on fermenting it warmer than the 68 degrees which I've done before, and I thought about throwing some rye in as well, but wanted to see if anyone else has tried this before and liked or disliked the addition.

Tim

Awesome can't wait to make this! Found some local Orange Blossom Honey and got my pack of 3711. Going to brew this Wednesday! Weather should allow me to get this into the mid to upper 70's easily room temperature alone.

Is everyone doing a 90 minute boil with the pilsner malt?

I don't do 90 minute boils on anything but my wee heavy recipe! as stated in my original recipe a 60 minute boil is all that's needed.

And as to the pils malt end, I rarely keep pils in the house anymore, I sub plain 2-row and to be honest though there is a taste difference I can pick up in SMaSH beers, I can't say I can tell a difference in any but the lightest beer styles like kolsch, etc.

So, I plan on doing this batch on Sunday. I started a 750ml starter last night, left it on the stirplate all day, and I get home and it doesn't seem like its been fermenting much? Compared to my last yeast starters, it has pretty much no little white particles flying around. However that being said I just stopped the stirplate, left it on its own for 15mins and now that I look back I have a thick layer of yeast at the bottom...so I guess I'm alright? Maybe the yeast just really blended well with the wort?

Look forward to trying out this recipe...

I just brewed this yesterday and hit every single number spot on. Was a perfect brew day! Can't wait to keg this soon!

Started fermentation at 68F last night and it has been going nuts today. Plan ramp it up into the 70's after 2-3 days and try to get high 70's. Is this a sufficient schedule or should I wait longer to ramp it up?

So, I plan on doing this batch on Sunday. I started a 750ml starter last night, left it on the stirplate all day, and I get home and it doesn't seem like its been fermenting much? Compared to my last yeast starters, it has pretty much no little white particles flying around. However that being said I just stopped the stirplate, left it on its own for 15mins and now that I look back I have a thick layer of yeast at the bottom...so I guess I'm alright? Maybe the yeast just really blended well with the wort?

I just did a starter a few days ago and it was the same. 3711 starters don't show much action compared to other strains.

I just brewed this yesterday and hit every single number spot on. Was a perfect brew day! Can't wait to keg this soon!

Started fermentation at 68F last night and it has been going nuts today. Plan ramp it up into the 70's after 2-3 days and try to get high 70's. Is this a sufficient schedule or should I wait longer to ramp it up?

I just did a starter a few days ago and it was the same. 3711 starters don't show much action compared to other strains.

Cool! Thanks for the info :) can't wait till Sunday!

I brewed this about 9 weeks ago, and finally opened a bottle last night. The brew spent 5 weeks in primary (my usual time is 4 - 6 weeks) and 4 weeks carbing in the bottle. According to my wife, this is the best beer I have made in the past 6 or so years. It really is good.

I will be brewing this again soon.

I think your schedule sounds good. I would start ramping up on Sunday night because 3711 is an absolute monster!

I brewed this about 9 weeks ago, and finally opened a bottle last night. The brew spent 5 weeks in primary (my usual time is 4 - 6 weeks) and 4 weeks carbing in the bottle. According to my wife, this is the best beer I have made in the past 6 or so years. It really is good.

I will be brewing this again soon.

This is my favorite kind of feedback!
I need to brew this again, once spring gets a better foothold in Chicagoland.

Here's another bit of feed back: this beer pairs beautifully with everything. Some beers pair well with a couple kinds of food, but this pairs with everything. Grilled shrimp, salmon, steak, chops, you name it. Heck, I've even had it with meatloaf or with grilled cheese and it still works beautifully.

It's bubbling away in my ferm chamber right now.

I just finished brewing this! I ended up with an OG of around 1.054 finally, used a little bit too much water.
I also pitched the yeast too warm at around 78F... I don't know where my head was, I forgot to check the temp before pitching. Hopefully it'll be fine.
Now let's wait and see. The 6gal carboy is almost filled to the top, I'm hoping the blow-off tube will handle things OK!

I brewed this for the third time last Friday and bottle/kegged it today. My OG was 1.063 and it finished at 1.001! I intentionally shot for a higher OG so I could get this over 8% ABV. Sure enough, that's where it's at! I fermented this batch differently than my first two. The first two I fermented at 68 degrees and left it there the entire time. This time I started at 68 for a day then raised it up 2 degrees everyday until I got to 80 degrees and left it there till I bottle/kegged it. It tastes AMAZING! A lot more "Belgian funk" than the first two times and I love it! If your into the "Belgian funk" then ferment it high. You won't be disappointed! I try to keep this on tap at my house all the time. One or two of these beers on a given night and all the cares of the world go away! Great recipe!

This thing is fermenting like crazy... I dropped the temperature down at 68 overnight, and its still bubbling non-stop. Nothing blew off luckily, the blow-off tube seems to be doing its thing. I will leave it at 68 for 1-2 weeks and raise it afterwards, although I suspect it'll be done fermenting in a week at this speed!

This thing is fermenting like crazy... I dropped the temperature down at 68 overnight, and its still bubbling non-stop. Nothing blew off luckily, the blow-off tube seems to be doing its thing. I will leave it at 68 for 1-2 weeks and raise it afterwards, although I suspect it'll be done fermenting in a week at this speed!

I don't know if I'd drop the temperature if I were you. It's pretty clean at 68 and, personally, I like my Saison more funky.

I've been holding it in a bath tub between 74-80 the last two days. Due to the temperature moving around within that range I am hoping for some good flavors. So weird to be doing this considering brews are usually sitting in the fermentation chamber at a steady temperature.

I don't know if I'd drop the temperature if I were you. It's pretty clean at 68 and, personally, I like my Saison more funky.

I've seen this description before but not sure how to relate to it. What is it you call funky?

Well, Its been 5 full days and I think fermentation is done or very close to done this morning. Just checked the carboy and no more activity (it had slowed down greatly yesterday). It really fermented like crazy! I'll probably bottle next week though because I don't think I'll have time this weekend.

Mine went strong for 4-5 days and slow bubbling (1-2 a minute) for another 2 days. I'm on day 8 now and I will be racking it to a keg on day 15. Can't wait to taste this it has been smelling amazing!

My only complaint is that I am going to have to let the temperature fall. After day 3 I ramped it up in the bath tub holding it at 78-80 for a few days but I am about to leave town and gonna have to let it fall to room temperature around 68F.

Shouldn't affect much at this point since fermentation is probably a point or two from done right?

Mine went strong for 4-5 days and slow bubbling (1-2 a minute) for another 2 days. I'm on day 8 now and I will be racking it to a keg on day 15. Can't wait to taste this it has been smelling amazing!

My only complaint is that I am going to have to let the temperature fall. After day 3 I ramped it up in the bath tub holding it at 78-80 for a few days but I am about to leave town and gonna have to let it fall to room temperature around 68F.

Shouldn't affect much at this point since fermentation is probably a point or two from done right?

Correct, no worries at this point!

Just grabbed a sample for day 10 gravity reading and it was at 1.002! Tasted fantastic, nice and dry and I think it should be done now. Going to let it sit and leg on Thursday.

Is there any reason I would want to let this do a 3 week primary like my other ales?

Is there any reason I would want to let this do a 3 week primary like my other ales?

No reason that I can think of. I've brewed this beer 3 different times and left it in the primary no longer than 10 days before kegging! All 3 batches came out wonderful! You should be good to go.....enjoy

I wouldn't worry too much. I find a lot of saison yeasts lag a little at the very start.

Back