Costs of a microbrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bathman

Reaction score
Great discussion on brewpub vs microbrewery and I am definitely leaning toward microbrewery. Who has experience in this and can lay out the main startup costs and also costs of producing beer in terms of cost per bbl or 1/2 bbl for ingredients labor etc and what the profit margin is per keg. All thoughts welcome!

Cheers
Bathman

Startup costs $25k-$1M
Profit per bbl $0-$400

What size equipment?
What packaging type?
Self distribution or 3 tier?
What beers?
Where will it be located?
Buy or lease building?

Only you will be able to answer this stuff. Build yourself a proper proforma and you'll get all the info you are looking for.

I'm no businessman, but it seems to me that if you build a good brewpub, with good service, it would be much easier to sell your beer on a regular basis and build a good customer base. My favorite brewpub near me does it really simple. They specialize in burgers and they do that very well. It's the only burger on the planet I would put above mine (I have a local butcher who, when I walk in the door, goes to the back to grind my burger fresh). Their beer is decent. I wouldn't put it up there with the best, but they have a simple solid menu, do their beer simple and solid with a new signature brew each month. The place is always packed. And at the end of the day, even if the beer ran out, the place would still be packed because they just do everything right.

As I said, I'm not a business man, but it's just like I was always told growing up, don't put all your eggs in one basket, it seems a simple, good brewpub always gives you another outlet to make money other than just pushing your beer out the door.

Latest posts

Back