Cost to fill co2 tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Im getting my 5lb co2 tank filled for the first time today. I called the local Air Gas Distributors, which is the only place I can find so far that fills tanks, and they told me to fill a 5lb tank it would be $30.43. That seems a bit high to me. Is that normal, or am I getting shafted at that price?

Check fire extinguisher service shops and paintball parks if you have them nearby. $30 for a 5# tank is a bit steep.

I thought that was a bit steep my self. I called another place, and they can only exchange, or send my tank off to get filled. They are going to charge me 10.00 to exchange. I don't really want to get rid of my brand new tank. But I dont want to pay 30.00 to get it filled.

Airgas can probably hook you up with another aluminum tank in a swap. Sure it won't be brand new, but who cares. Of course that's my personal opinion, some people do care :).

That being said, I swapped out a partially rusty 5 years out of hydro steel 20 lb. CO2 tank for a nice aluminum one for $22.

I have always been a fan of the cylinder swap for my welding rigs (C25 and Argon). Once you join the "club" of tank ownership you can swap out and let the shop worry about hydrostatic testing. Most of the cost getting any cylinder refilled is the labor involved. Also no wait while they fill your tank.

I swapped mine (posted in another thread last night) with Airgas thru a local welding supply shop. Turned in a drab brown tank with permanent marker writing all over it, along with $12, and got a shiny new tank in it's place :)

For some reason it's only a dollar or so more to swap a 15# tank as opposed to a 5#. So I found a good deal on a big tank on ebay, now I use my old 5# for cleaning and purging cornies.

Yikes! My local Air Gas filled my 10# for $13........But they also told the wife that my tank was old and that I would have to trade it in very soon. One problem with that is that I just bought it a month ago brand new! F-N a holes!

Im getting my 5lb co2 tank filled for the first time today. I called the local Air Gas Distributors, which is the only place I can find so far that fills tanks, and they told me to fill a 5lb tank it would be $30.43. That seems a bit high to me. Is that normal, or am I getting shafted at that price?

Is it possible that they gave you the price for a hydrotest and fill?

There is a Carbonic Service near me that will do 5# for $12. Their rates increase a bit more than usual for the bigger tanks though. If my memory serves me correctly, it was something like 10# for $18 and 20# for $25. Still a deal though.

I ended up swapping my aluminum tank for a used steel tank. Cost me $10.00. The guy was cool though, he said he would send my tank to get filled, they dont fill there, and when the one he gave me was empty, he'd swap me back for my aluminum tank. As long as it gets co2 to my beer, Im fine.

My 20# cyl was just filled for $15.40.

And I also got a dilrod answer from Airgas before that: "yeah there's only one company in Texas down by Austin that'll do a hydro test. Nobody else does it".

Right. Same company that did my fill did the hydro for $14. I am beginning to think that the Airgas folks are just genetic a-holes.

Back