Corroded equipment ... still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshin

Shoshin Picobrewery
Reaction score
This propane burner and 4-way has manifold sat under water in my brother’s basement for a month, and we recently reclaimed them. While somewhat corroded and/or rusty, they otherwise seem to be ok. Will the rust on the burner and the corrosion on the manifold be a problem (I’m assuming i should make a good faith effort to clean them)? Are they dead or can they be reasonably revived?
IMG_1519615056.462818.jpg
IMG_1519615074.875520.jpg

View attachment 559819

Manifold is junk. The regulator on the burner might need to be replaced if it was under water as well. Make sure all the passages on the burner are clear.

I'd take both apart, clean the manifold very well, and the burner a little. Then test them. If the innards of the propane regulator rusted you might need a new one. They are not that expensive.

I'd agree, that manifold looks like junk. The burner, fire it up and see. The regulator might be messed up, but the burner should be fine. You should see the one I use, pulled it out of my junk pile, sat outside for years, works fine.

Thanks, all! I will inspect more thoroughly. The levers on the valves on the manifold all actuate smoothly, which made me think they might still be good, but I imagine that the same corrosion outside might be at work inside. I am going to see if I can take it apart and really inspect it. It would be a shame to let go, but c'est la vie.

Manifolds are relatively cheap. That one was sitting under water, *in a basement*. There's no way to know what growing in each and every crevice, and if the valves are corroded enough to leak, you won't know until it's already blown your co2 tank empty.

IMO both items could be refurbished, to what extent is required is tough to tell from pictures.

Depends on your skill set and how much time you want to play with them.

Latest posts

Back