Coronado Brewing Company Islander IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigvu

Reaction score
Has anyone had Coronado Brewing Co's "Islander IPA"? I had it last week and loved it. Serious citrus/orange flavors and a really clean finish. Any thoughts on adding those types of flavors to an IPA? I've seen lots of orange/lemon zest posts for wheat beers.

Has anyone had Coronado Brewing Co's "Islander IPA"? I had it last week and loved it. Serious citrus/orange flavors and a really clean finish. Any thoughts on adding those types of flavors to an IPA? I've seen lots of orange/lemon zest posts for wheat beers.

you don't need any orange or lemon zest. just lots of american hops. the "c" hops all pack a big citrus flavor. amarillo is pretty fruity as well.

It's been several years since I've been down to CBC - great place in a great setting. Can't remember if I've tasted this IPA though.

The website doesn't give much info:
"Brewed within a mile of the pacific ocean this west coast IPA sweeps the senses with its intense hop bitterness, complex flavors and aromas. The Islander IPA pours a nice copper color with a medium body and maltiness. Silver medal winner at the 2007 L.A. County fair. (7% ABV)"

I agree with krug above - you don't need to add orange or lemon zest (it's not to style and I'm sure CBC isn't adding it either). You just need some really citrusey hops - Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo come to mind.

I just wanted to comment on this thread topic. I discovered the Coronado Brewing Company's IPA about a month ago. My local Albertsons sells it for $4.00 for a 20 or 22 oz bottle. So , the price is very right! This IPA is fantastic! I like it alot more than Stone's Ruination.

I got the IPA in a trade a few weeks back. It was awesome. I really just picked up centennial hops up front. Almost just like two hearted.

Yep. Coranado does a good IPA.

Received some 2 years ago as a gift. Excellent stuff.

I got a 6pm that still had hop pellets in it. I literally chewed on them.

If you are tasting orange citrus with them, I would recommend going with the simcoe/amarillo combo and throwing a good amount of athanum in. To me, athanum is extremely similar to cascade, except I get more orange peel instead of grapefruit zest flavors.

Back