corona grain mill question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I'm looking to start all grain soon, I have a corona grain mill that was purchased several years back before I thought of home brewing, Is this satisfactory to use for my first few batches?

I am going to buy a 50 lb bag of 2 row pale malt barly to get started and dont want to spend 100.00 for millars barly mill right now.

ill be doing 5 gallon batches and would appreciate some input from people who have tried this. I realise it looks like an el-cheapo, but its what is on hand w/o having to go and patronise visa/mastercard

Oh boy here come the fireworks

Heck yes it will work and I have done tons of batches with mine. But I am buying a mill anyway because the chickens do not like the rice hulls I put in. That and I want to buy more bling for brew shop

There is a whole thread on them
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

I used mine for the first time today. It might be slower then a more expensive mill but I hit 84% efficiency. Can't complain.

I have to echo mb82's sentiments here. For what they are they work bloody well. It's like being on a smaller, less powerful bike and passing another rider on a bigger, more powerful, state of the art suspended, sportsbike around the outside, mid corner:rockin: Corona mill and BIAB FTW:ban::rockin::mug:;):fro:

Have to say that it only took me about 10 minutes, or so, to hand crank 7 or 8 lbs of grain for my last brew though.

My knockoff corona mill works great! I second the motion to check out the ugly junk thread. After probably 50ish batches using it, I still have no complaints.

Oh boy here come the fireworks

Heck yes it will work and I have done tons of batches with mine. But I am buying a mill anyway because the chickens do not like the rice hulls I put in. That and I want to buy more bling for brew shop

Rice hulls? Sure I tried them back when I thought I needed them, but I have since realized I don't need them at all with the fine grind of my Corona, never a problem even with 40-40% wheat, I either batch sparge w/ a braid or BIAB, never a stuck sparge!

Corona mill might just be my best purchase this decade...haha.

Rice hulls? Sure I tried them back when I thought I needed them, but I have since realized I don't need them at all with the fine grind of my Corona, never a problem even with 40-40% wheat, I either batch sparge w/ a braid or BIAB, never a stuck sparge!

Corona mill might just be my best purchase this decade...haha.

I batch sparge with a manifold and truly benefit from rice hulls. Try explaining to your wife when she comes around the corner and you have the hose stuck in your mouth:rockin:

Try a braid...very very rarely I have a slow runoff and just passing the mash paddle over the braid and were back to flowing business...cheers!

I think I will and very soon. I use my mash tun as a cooler to carry the beer when it is not being used for a mash tun and I am getting tired of that.

Have to say that it only took me about 10 minutes, or so, to hand crank 7 or 8 lbs of grain for my last brew though.

I probably could have done it faster. But I was trying to keep from throwing grains all over the kitchen. Really need to set up a double bucket setup like everyone else.

Crushing the grain with my hand cranked Corona is one of the stages that I take slowly and enjoy. Put on the headphones and take it steady, observing the crush, tasting and smelling the grist, mentally reviewing the next morning's brew. I get a good crush and intact hulls, too. I'm okay with all that.

I probably could have done it faster. But I was trying to keep from throwing grains all over the kitchen. Really need to set up a double bucket setup like everyone else.

Hahaha, I just clamp the mill onto a tabletop then tie closed a plastic shopping bag over/around the milling burrs/adjuster screw & bracket housing and start cranking. Every now and again I'd manipulate the bag to redistribute the crushed grains and make room for more to accumulate. A little bit of dust seeped out but not much. Pretty low tech but it worked:ban:

Oh, and did I mention 85% efficiency??:rockin::ban::tank:

Hahaha, I just clamp the mill onto a tabletop then tie closed a plastic shopping bag over/around the milling burrs/adjuster screw & bracket housing and start cranking. Every now and again I'd manipulate the bag to redistribute the crushed grains and make room for more to accumulate. A little bit of dust seeped out but not much. Pretty low tech but it worked:ban:

Oh, and did I mention 85% efficiency??:rockin::ban::tank:

That's how mine is set up. Garbage bag to guide grain into a bucket.

Just because I am feeling ornery this morning I am going to say they SUCK. Buy a real mill.

And I say this as I use my corona to mill my next batch:eek:

Just because I am feeling ornery this morning I am going to say they SUCK. Buy a real mill.

And I say this as I use my corona to mill my next batch:eek:

Dang, I wish I had known that they suck along about 20 batches back or so.:D

I do all my brewing in the kitchen on an electric stove so i put the water on to start heating and mill my grains. Sure the mill is slower than the fancy ones but I'm always done milling and waiting for the water to get to strike temp so how would the crusher mills benefit? Oh yeah, they are easier to hook a drill to.:cross:

Back