Corny kegs $80 a four pack, quality used solid tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
This moring I talked to Matt at The CHI Company in Antelope, northern California and ordered another 4-pack of corny's. He only sells clean good condition used corny's. By this only very small dents at the most with little dings and scratches from normal service use with solid rubber bottoms and tops. He does not sell junk or kegs (15.5 gallon) or corny's with loose rubber.
This order of a 4 pack again will be a total of 24 corny's for me, everyone is cleaned and shipped under a low pressure charge inside and I bet in good condition as the other 20 ordered are in great condition in the past.
This sale is good until the end of the month or when he runs out. Matt told me later on he will get a the last supply of 300 more corny's from across the U.S. and that will be the end of them thru him.
I am close so shipping a 4 pack in one box UPS Ground is only $13.
Just a heads up if anyone is looking for corney's.
I know i'll get someone to reply that can get them for $17.50 back east and cheaper but I must ask in what condition they are in, good solid tops and bottoms or loose rubber tops plus adding the shipping cost across the country? Shipping would kill the deal for me besides the chances of getting junk corny's with loose rubber ends?
This would be a good buy for us west cost brewers.
It must be a higher shipping bill to ship back east as it was east to west.
Just a heads up.

Man, I just got 4 from Matt over memorial weekend.... and one of them had a loose rubber on the bottom. Actually I haven't really checked 2 of them out yet either.

On the other hand, this was my second order of the 4-pack and I don't feel ripped off even if they aren't in the best shape, it is what it is and they are used. I find some of them hard to seal the top though. I often have to use a spacer of some sort to make a tighter fit.

When it comes to buying used kegs I mostly find it best to pay the extra by going to the LHBS and picking out the ones I want. They hold pressure, have no dents and the rubber is in good shape. Last time I bought used online from Midwest and it looked like an elephant has taken a nap on it.

I have heard & read mostly good things about CHI kegs in the past.

$20 kegs is a danmed good deal even if it has a couple dents, and one ocasionally has a loose bottom (Epoxy fixes that right up anyways)

I got 2 kegs from Midwest (Both in good shape)
2 from a Homebrew Club member (just needed to replace diptube orings) $25each
2 from a guy on CL selling about 200 of em (I got to pick my 2 from a full storage unit of them) $25 each

well way to ruin the initial God Status from the OP!
Is this Matt guy on here? I'd like a shipping quote to Ohio for a 4 pack.

Yes Matt is on here, username: mjc

Also this sale is mentioned here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/keg-sale-123436/
Direct link: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_44&products_id=36

Also, also you can get a shipping quote on their site. Might be a bit much to get to you but worth a shot to see. he offers great service and is a nice guy too. I call sometimes and he answers and doesn't say his name, then and the end of the call I say, "Thanks Matt" and he is probably thinking how does this guy know my name?

I've ordered 8 kegs from matt (AKA Chicompany) in the past. Other than being a bit worn, they have all held pressure and worked fine. Best place pricewise to buy on the west coast.

Thanks, I got a pack of single handled kegs $74 and shipping was only $38 to Alaska. It was weird though, on the kegs you had linked for $80 shipping was going to be $60. LHBS charges $65 each up here so I got 4 + a set of disconnects for $120.

I get the strangest feeling and not that one you sicko, but whenever I see a sale at the CHI company I think, I need more kegs. So how many is too many, well I only have 9 so far but people make it sound like these won't be available in a little while. What is the story there? Will we be able to buy these in a few years? I am not talking about from CHI necessarily as they are getting down to their last batch.

but people make it sound like these won't be available in a little while. What is the story there? Will we be able to buy these in a few years? I am not talking about from CHI necessarily as they are getting down to their last batch.
This is my concern and I basically got the GO ahead (need to reconfirm) to order another lot of 4 from SWMBO. The more beer I pump in to from the keezer the easier it seems to to get her on board with my brewing equipment :)

I have been looking for a decent deal on corneys shipped and after looking at this thread saw the single handle 4 pack of kegs on chicompany.net and although they are only $5 cheaper than the 2 handle 4 pack shipping is almost $20 less to the east coast. Just over $100 shipped for 4 ill take it

Just got my kegs in. They look really solid. Can't beat $110 shipped with a new set of gaskets for each keg!

Edit: They're all straight dip tube firestone kegs. I'll take the posts off and update when I get home from work. I've heard the newer firestone kegs don't have the funny nylon washers, so I'm crossing my fingers....

Hhmmm, must have lots of people hitting the site at the moment 'cause it won't open up. :(

Matt's recorder was filled to the max and you could not leave a message.
If you used the CHI email you will have received a reply from Matt.
I calle the next morning after his recording unit was filled and not taking any more calls. That next morning he had already read my email and was starting to respond. His phone was ringing off the desk on this last sale.

I get the strangest feeling and not that one you sicko, but whenever I see a sale at the CHI company I think, I need more kegs. So how many is too many, well I only have 9 so far but people make it sound like these won't be available in a little while. What is the story there? Will we be able to buy these in a few years? I am not talking about from CHI necessarily as they are getting down to their last batch.

Yes Matt is down to what was in the yard on this sale to the end of June or when he runs out of them, he still has 2-300 more coming from the last Pepsi plant he purchased the contents out of. This will be the last plant and supply
of corny's.
When this last batch comes in it will be the end of the corny's thru CHI I was told by Matt.
There will be made in China Corny's and at this moment some wineries are using bottles made in China. My wine Master friend's company will only buy U.S.A. made bottles even when they cost more than the Chinese bottles.

Having enough, never happens as I have 24 Pepsi corny's (a 4 pack due tomorrow) plus one Coke Pin Lock that is the odd ball of my collection. It needs a swap with a person set up with Coke Pin Locks not all ball locks like I have.

Man, I just got 4 from Matt over memorial weekend.... and one of them had a loose rubber on the bottom. Actually I haven't really checked 2 of them out yet either.

On the other hand, this was my second order of the 4-pack and I don't feel ripped off even if they aren't in the best shape, it is what it is and they are used. I find some of them hard to seal the top though. I often have to use a spacer of some sort to make a tighter fit.

Sorry to hear that as Matt does not sell "B" class corny's only ones with solid tight rubber ends. Talk to Matt about it or just clean it and brush on contact cement. Being on the bottom this would be a quick easy fix.
I'm surprised it got past CHI's QC as they have high standards.
All my corny's held the shipping pressure, one top lid had a problem, Matt just sent a complete replacement lid free with my next order. This says a lot about CHI and Matt hence why I only deal with him and his company. The lucky part I live within the state so i'm saving on the shipping.
I would not want to be exchanging corny's from across the country thru any company that I do not know their QC even if they were cheaper. The cheapest i've seen was $17.50 but the shipping across the country still made CHI's corny's a better deal for me. As I said before being 3-4 miles away from the Port Of Oakland with friends that work the port and a crane operator they have shipped thousands of tons of 15.5. 7.75 gallon kegs as well corny's and these ships have the home ports on their transoms of a city in China or Hong Kong. The kegs for scrap stainless with the corny's as a serious liquid carrying container.

well way to ruin the initial God Status from the OP!
Is this Matt guy on here? I'd like a shipping quote to Ohio for a 4 pack.

Brad; i'm so far away from that "Status" you wouild be surprised.
Now bull8042 as well Adam with the BCS 460 controllers they have
the highest respect from me besides their electronics background
vs a wireman electrician that I was.
I must add lehr with his talents in that brew stand, first place ribbon material in my book.
No worries i'm only 3/4 the way to Hell, there is a little good left in me, I can still screw up
ask the wifey.
Cheers.

I meant to update my earlier post yesterday but got busy or something... Pulled all of my keg posts off and everything looks tip top. 2 of my 4 have plastic gas in tubes, but that doesn't bother me at all. All of my kegs are in great shape inside and out.

The deal was just too good to pass up. I had to snag a 4 pack for myself. It will be a shame when they run out, as none of the other big sellers seem to be on the west coast, and the shipping can cut into the prices pretty quick.

Anyone know of a good resource for 5 gal ball lock kegs at the moment? CHI is out.

I don't have time to wait, but they will be getting a shipment in the next couple of months. They will not have quantity discounts (mid to high $30's per keg is what I was told after inquiring via email).

They seem to be getting scarce everywhere. I was going to list these on CL, but I'll give you first option for them. I'm selling 3 for $45. The only catch is that two of them don't have lids. Otherwise they are in good condition. Let me know if you're interested.

Back