Corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob5023

Reaction score
I had heard a lot about these corny keg things. Can anyone describe to me what the difference between the corny keg and a regular keg is? Or is here a difference? Can you put priming sugar in a corny keg or do you put the co2 in it?

A corny or Cornelius keg is just a particular type of keg. They were formerly used by soda manufacturers to deliver and serve syrups. Like sanke kegs (the more familiar beer keg), they're stainless steel and have a beer port and a co2 port. They just require different fittings than a sanke. Cornies usually come in 5g size, which is handy for homebrewers, and are relatively cheaper because their use was discontinued by most soda companies.

In addition, it is easier to access the inside of the Corny keg to clean it, add dry hops, etc., because it has a large opening in the top (large enough for most people's arm to reach in to the bottom). It is also easier to dismantle the parts for cleaning. Yes, you can use priming sugar to carbonate in a Corny keg or you can force carb it with a CO2 tank.

So do you put the wort in the fermenter and then siphon it into the keg to let the priming sugar carbonate the beer? Or do you put the wort in the keg? I have never legged before. Only bottled.

Ferment as usual, then transfer to the keg instead of a bottling bucket. If naturally carbonating in the keg, add priming sugar solution prior to the transfer.

So do you put the wort in the fermenter and then siphon it into the keg to let the priming sugar carbonate the beer? Or do you put the wort in the keg? I have never legged before. Only bottled.

Yes.

-- Okay --- yanking your chain a little but for the most part, you'll be using the keg to replace your bottles. You ferment your wort into beer in your primary, transfer to secondary (if you're using one) to clarify, and then transfer and prime into the keg.

But, there are people who use corny kegs as fermenters. I'm not one of them; but some do.

I ferment in a carboy for 2 weeks or more. Then heat up some water, add the priming sugar, pour that into the Corny keg and siphon the beer from the fermenter into the Corny keg on top of the sugar water. Close the keg, attach to CO2 gas and purge the air in the keg a few times to fill the empty space with CO2 as opposed to air. Remove gas, let sit for couple more weeks to carbonate. Then pop in the kegerator and attach the CO2 in and beer out lines and cool it down. The first couple glasses of beer will contain all the sediment/yeast from the carbonation process, so just pour those out. Once the beer pours clear, it's good to drink. Good luck.

I am really considering getting one. I saw the ugly keg they have for sale and I may get one of those before buying an expensive one. Bottles these days are getting pricey. The home brew shop near me sells 24 used ones with labels on them for $13. Hopefully kegging will be a little cheaper in the long run.

I am really considering getting one. I saw the ugly keg they have for sale and I may get one of those before buying an expensive one. Bottles these days are getting pricey. The home brew shop near me sells 24 used ones with labels on them for $13. Hopefully kegging will be a little cheaper in the long run.

Hmmmmmm..... most bars and redemption centers will sell 24 of them to you for $1.20 or $2.

What??? $13 for used bottles with labels still on? What a rip off. I think I'd start spending more money online, and less there if I were you. You can buy new bottles without labels for $10-$12 all day, or find some for free or a buck or two at local bars.

I am definitely going to start shopping online more. This is not a cheap hobby and these home brew shops aren't helping much when it comes to saving money.

I save a ton on bottles by buying bottles full of beer, emptying them, and removing the labels. But yeah, here in Maine we can return bottles for $.05 at a redemption center. So you can go there and buy bottles from them for $.07 or $.08 each. This is great if you are looking for a bunch of bombers. Where else can you buy an empty bomber for less than $.10?

I have NEVER bought empty bottles. I buy full bottles and turn them into empty. Although I brew, I still support the fine craft brewers out there with buying a sixer and a couple bombers every couple of weeks.

I would say that the majority of homebrewers probably force carbonate with co2 from their tank, rather than by inducing a second fermentation with priming sugar. It's just faster and cleaner (in terms of sediment). But you certainly can carbonate with sugar (around a third of the amount you'd use if you were bottling), and save a little gas.

I used to "set and forget" to carbonate, but that took up space in my kegerator which could have been used for a keg that was already carbonated and ready to serve. That's why I started naturally carbonating outside of the kegerator. Once a keg in the kegerator is empty, I usually have one naturally carbonated ready to go. Just pop it in the kegerator, connect the gas and beer out, draw out the sediment and its good to go.

I used to "set and forget" to carbonate, but that took up space in my kegerator which could have been used for a keg that was already carbonated and ready to serve. That's why I started naturally carbonating outside of the kegerator. Once a keg in the kegerator is empty, I usually have one naturally carbonated ready to go. Just pop it in the kegerator, connect the gas and beer out, draw out the sediment and its good to go.

+1

I do this too. Once you are fermenting multiple batches at once, force carbing with CO2 can cause a bottle neck equipment wise (since you need a chest freezer and CO2 lines for multiple kegs).

Just plan well enough in advance - you can prime at room temperature in the keg in about three weeks. Also remember that you normally need half as much sugar to prime in a keg as you do for bottling.

+1

I do this too. Once you are fermenting multiple batches at once, force carbing with CO2 can cause a bottle neck equipment wise (since you need a chest freezer and CO2 lines for multiple kegs).

Just plan well enough in advance - you can prime at room temperature in the keg in about three weeks. Also remember that you normally need half as much sugar to prime in a keg as you do for bottling.

Exactly, I prime in the keg and give a short burst of CO2 and clear air from the PRV and let it sit at room temperature to carbonate.

Back