Corny Keg Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpdx

Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Just bought my first two corny kegs last month and racked my first beer into one of them. Wanting to experience cold carbonated beer quickly I went with the quit carb route of rolling my keg around on the floor, etc. after chilling it in my fridge to the high 30s temp wise. Now I need to leave for a week and have 4 gallons of carbonated beer I need to *remove* from my fridge and put back all the shelves and crap I removed from it (thanks wife). Stupid question but I assume the keg will be fine to sit with CO2 on it at 66 degrees after having been at that cold temp for 3 days? Is it OK to raise the temp that high and go back again?

Yeah, its fine. Just think of a keg as a big bottle of beer. Just don't vent the pressure.

It's fine. Its an old myth that beer can't go from warm to cold back to warm again. People say it skunks the beer not really having any idea that it's light that does it as they drink their Miller from a clear bottle.

Thanks guys. I disconnected the gas tank, did NOT vent the pressure and moved it into my basement/cellar while I am out of town. Now I either need to get some half shelves for my basement fridge or find space for a kegerator. Someone on CL was selling one for $200 but I missed it by 10 minutes! Cheers.

Back