Corny keg questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie02173

Reaction score
I have fermented a beer and a lager into 2 18l corny kegs and i was let down with a fridge and as i have been very busy all week i have been unable to get a fridge yet! I removed the two worths from the fermentation vessels after 2 weeks of fermentation and syphoned them to my corny kegs. I applied the gas to realise with the good help of this website that it was 50/50 co2, nitrogen so i removed the next morning and left the kegs sitting in my garage at around 46 to 52f the last 3 days. Today i have added the correct co2 and as it is not in a fridge but cold i have set it at 1100 psi.
Will my beer be ok sitting in a keg before carbonation at a reasonably cold temperature?
Will it carbonate properly at changing temperatures? This is all over a 5 day period as i have a fridge arriving and hope to set the beer at a controlled temperature?

I routinely keg beers and either naturally carbonate them in the keg by adding sugar or simply seal and purge them with CO2 while waiting for Keezer space to open up. These kegs can sit at room temp. in my garage for weeks before they end up in the Keezer. While hoppier beers may lose some hoppiness over that time, I have never had a major problem doing it this way.

This what 11000 psi looks like.
Keg.jpg

but cold i have set it at 1100 psi.

i'd be concerned about the beer being over carbd? ;)

but rib jabbing aside. i've read a lot of people bump up the temp for what they call a diacetyl rest anyway. if i read your concern right? :mug: you did purge the headspace right?

Will my beer be ok sitting in a keg before carbonation at a reasonably cold temperature?
Will it carbonate properly at changing temperatures?

Your beer will be fine sitting at those temps, but it won't carbonate properly. You need higher pressure at warmer temperatures. So, 11PSI at 38F gives 2.48 volumes of CO2, but at 50F only gives 1.98 volumes. So, at the same pressure, beer won't be as fizzy at warmer temperatures. To get close to 2.48 volumes when carbonating at 50F, you need 17PSI. However, carbonation using this 'set and forget' method takes a couple of weeks to get close to fully carbonated anyway (but I tend to start drinking them after a week of gassing).

Back