Corny Keg Lid seal leaks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCoastie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the lid on the corny kegs. I just got my kegs and everything a couple weeks ago, and I'm getting ready to keg my first batch of beer (IPA). Last night I broke out one of the kegs (my kegs are all used) and began by rinsing out the inside. To be safe I decide to fill the keg full with water and cleaning powder to let it soak for a couple days while I get my CO2 filled and let the beer clear a bit longer in secondary before I keg it.
While I had the lid off, I went ahead and replaced the lid seal/gasket with the seal that was supplied with the kit. The lid appeared to seal/seat well, but I noticed when I picked up the keg a gave it a little shake, the water leaked out of the lid.
Is this leaking due to the lack of pressure? Is the lid designed to be air/water tight when the keg is under pressure only? Is my lid not working correctly?
I want to make sure everything is working as it should before I put my beer in it.
Thanks for any insight you guys can provide!

The seal should be tight without pressure. Either you don't have it lined up perfectly or something is bent. The gap between the lid and the lip should be as even as you can make it before you flip the bail. Sometimes the feet on the bail get worn or crack and this prevents a good seal. The feet can be replaced. Put a few psi of CO2 on the keg once you have the lid sealed and let it sit over-night, just to be certain. I store my clean kegs under pressure, so I know they are ready to go.

Thanks David,

Yeah I thought it seemed a little wierd, I'll try it again and see if I can get it to seal. The kegs were shipped under pressure, I had to bleed quite a bit of pressure in order to get the lid off, so I know that the kegs lid is capable of creating an airtight seal. I'll check that new seal and see if it's not seated well. enough as well as the feet. Thanks again!

Sean

I haven't been kegging all that long (6 months) and have 4 of them but if I don't apply any CO2 pressure mine will leak a bit. When I'm sanitizing and shaking them around with the cap on I'll get some sanitizer leaking out. Might be my boots as David said but once I give it some co2 I'm good. Agree though that you make sure it's all centered nicely.

If you cannot get it to seal well stick a nickel under each of the bail's feet when you lock it down. Over time the bail's locking machanism losens up.. so you either bend the mechanism back in place or use something as a buffer.

Also try turning the lid around, some lids seem to fit better one way on the keg than the other way.

One other thing you could try is to clean the lip inside the large opening (that the O ring seats on. I had leakage probs, but when I cleaned that surface it sealed perfectly.

I have a leakage question for anyone who knows: The Pressure Relief Valve on one of my kegs leaks if it's turned one way or another. It seems okay if you get it just right. Should I/Could I replace it or adjust or is it okay like it is? Thanks!

WhatsOnTap said:
I have a leakage question for anyone who knows: The Pressure Relief Valve on one of my kegs leaks if it's turned one way or another. It seems okay if you get it just right. Should I/Could I replace it or adjust or is it okay like it is? Thanks!

Loses pressure as well (when you think you got it right)?. One of the kegs I purchased leaked there as well it ended up being cracked. Luckily I contacted the vendor and they sent me a whole new top. I priced that relief value at my HBS at $20+ I believe!!!

Dang for 20 bucks I'll just twist it until it stops leaking! It holds pressure if I turn the ring a little. I was just wondering if there was a way I could adjust or recondition it with minimal cost.

If you cannot get it to seal well stick a nickel under each of the bail's feet when you lock it down. Over time the bail's locking machanism losens up.. so you either bend the mechanism back in place or use something as a buffer.

great advice. I have a keg with a slightly bent lip, which make a good seal hard to get. I bet ten cents this trick will work.
:mug:

There should be a tiny rubber disk (1/8 - 1/4 of an inch) at the bottom of that tiny shaft/spring. One of mine fell off into the PRV hole. I fished it out and gorilla glued it back on.

Back